WaterAid - We are an international non governmental organisation with a mission to transform lives by improving access to safe water, improved hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.
We seek high calibre professionals to play leading roles in our mission to transform lives with safe water sanitation and hygiene in the world’s poorest communities in the capacity:
Job Title: Director of Programmes
Contract type: Full time, 3-4 years fixed term (renewable based on performance)
Reports to: Country Director
Manages: Co-ordinator Service Delivery & Partnerships; Coordinator Policy & Sector Capacity; Coordinator Innovation and Technical Support and Manager, Market Based Solutions.
Budget responsibility: Approximately £1m with potential to progressively increase
Travel: 30% travel ( local and international)
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2016-2021 country programme strategy which sets a 5 year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 15 year horizon. This new country strategy rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The Programme Directorate will be expected to play a central role in designing and overseeing delivery of quality programmes that enhance WANG’s leadership role within the WASH /development sector in Nigeria and more specifically, achieve clear and measurable contributions towards improved WASH and broader poverty reduction/development indices in Nigeria.
- The Director of Programmes is accountable for setting, achieving and maintaining quality standards for the delivery of all WaterAid Nigeria programmes. This role is a senior management position in WaterAid Nigeria, and is expected to set high standards of programming quality that reflect adherence to WaterAid technical standards, best practice and donor guidelines, while fostering needs-driven innovation to improve effectiveness and impact.
- This role will ensure that policy and practice are integrated, and will focus WANG’s programming to influence transformational change with a wider goal to achieve WaterAid’s vision of sustainable WASH services for all.
- This role will provide leadership to teams responsible for advocacy work to influence government and the wider sector through evidence generated from service delivery, research, innovation and learning.
- A critical successful factor for this post holder is the ability to galvanise team members with diverse expertise to collaborate effectively in ensuring the design and effective implementation/ delivery of quality programmes. This will be achieved using a programmatic approach that delivers influencing outcomes by coalescing service delivery, learning, sector strengthening and advocacy activities in collaborative partnerships with a range of stakeholders.
- Identify the key gaps and opportunities in the external public policy and service delivery environments where WaterAid’s programmatic and advocacy interventions can have high impact and bring about progressive change
- Leads the design of quality projects and proposals that are responsive to grant funders requirements and speak to Country Program’s strategic priorities, experience and lessons learned
- Contribute to the development of the overall strategic plan for the Country Programme to maximise the provision of sustainable and equitable safe water and adequate sanitation for all.
- Design and lead programmes in line with the country strategy to ensure maximum impact, effectiveness and transformational change at scale
- Guide the development of influencing led programmes, where all aspects are integrated
- Set the overall direction for WaterAid Nigeria’s programmes & partnerships, to enable the successful delivery of high quality WASH services
- Oversee the development and implementation of a partnership strategy to ensure that impactful and effective partnerships are identified, built and managed
- Ensure timely and quality preparation of donor narrative reports, six monthly and annual Country Programme reports, Country Programme annual business plans, evaluation reports, and any other reports needed/required by the Nigerian government, donors, WAWA or WAUK.
- Be an active member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and contribute to strategic direction, organisational decision-making, and other management related issues
- Represent WaterAid in national CSO, donor, and government (and international) forums related to WASH so as to influence thinking of other stakeholders on effective delivery of WASH, and build WaterAid’s reputation as a sector leader
- Encourage and promote empowering and collaborative leadership, effective management, and a culture of openness, innovation and accountability in line with WaterAid’s values
- Deputise for, and represent, the Country Director as required
Advocacy & Influencing:
- Identify key sector issues on which WaterAid and its partners should focus their advocacy efforts
- Lead the delivery of influencing programmes at national & state level. Design programming activities to influence government (national, state & LGA) policy & legislation, budgets, co-ordination mechanisms and innovative delivery approaches to strengthen WASH services and increase WASH access.
- Identify and proactive seek linkages and integration between policy and practice
- Plan, guide and showcase WaterAid’s service delivery and research and innovations to influence policy makers. Provide guidance to reports on maintaining quality of research products and ensuring effective conversion of research products into use in the sector and beyond .
- Further develop a district wide approach and ensure human rights based approach is embedded in all programmes implemented across WaterAid states.
- Represent WaterAid in relationships with senior decision-makers to persuasively advocate for WaterAid’s change agenda
- Raise the profile of WaterAid Nigeria through a positive, proactive and strategic approach to brand building; Act as a spokesperson for the organization in the media and through participation in meetings, seminars and other strategic/important events at national, regional and international levels.
- Deliver materials for the media including speeches, articles, statements, press releases, blogs and other social media content developed with strong collaboration and input from the Communications team.
- Facilitate the development of strategic partnerships with relevant agencies within and beyond WASH sector, academia, media and research institutions
- Develop and strengthen partnerships, networks and alliances among sector stakeholders, government counterparts and NGOs involved in water and sanitation related activities in order to foster mutual learning and identify innovations that would increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the sector.
- Encourage and actively promote cross sectoral linkages so that WASH is mainstreamed in other sectors and strong links are established with other sectors
- Monitor and critically evaluate WASH market developments; Support innovative thinking in this area and bring in appropriate and innovative market based solutions where they will add value to WASH access.
- Contribute to regional and global programmes by shaping the regional and global influencing agenda as well as participating in WaterAid regional and global initiatives
- Lead in building relationships with key private sector organisations
- Drive innovation in WASH programmes and services
- Exercise oversight and accountability for the delivery of quality programme work across all thematic areas; Accountable for ensuring all WaterAid Nigeria programmes are based on WaterAid programme quality standards and approaches; Make informed decisions on programme management to maintain quality and ensure delivery against plans
- Set high standards of programming quality that reflect adherence to technical standards, best practice and donor guidelines, while fostering needs-driven innovation to improve programme effectiveness and impact; ensure that WaterAid Nigeria consistently meets the 9 commitments outlined in the WaterAid Programme Accountability Framework
- Facilitate excellent collaborative working relationships with local partners for the lifespan of projects. Facilitates knowledge management, learning and capacity building for partner staff.
- Work collaboratively with grant management and fundraising teams to effectively manage relationships, negotiations and communication efforts with donors and partners in all phases of project design and implementation; promote appropriate involvement of partners at all stages of the project cycle;.
- Ensure effective programme design and delivery in line with strategic plans and WaterAid’s programmatic approach
- Lead the integration of strategic themes, cross cutting issues, and implementation of global programme frameworks, policies, and standards throughout the organisation, and ensure that all programmes are aligned with these
- Develop operational plans and budgets for the implementation of programmes. Manage and monitor expenditure against budgets for strategic and annual plans in adherence to financial guidelines, ensuring value for money, and acting as appropriate within delegated authorities
- Monitor the qualitative and quantitative outcomes and impacts of the country programme and partners’ work in collaboration with the Business Development & Strategy team, to ensure successful delivery in line with overall plan
- Ensure the effective selection of new partner organisations. Coordinate participative relationships with partner organisations to understand partner needs and aspirations, develop planning processes and provide appropriate guidance and support.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of sector and best practice to ensure that the Country Programme stays at the forefront of practice and disseminate appropriately within team and other staff.
- Initiate challenging and innovative programmes and ensure learning is applied for improved programme effectiveness and external influencing
- Ensure that any contractual requirements related to restricted income are fully committed to by all involved, effectively monitored and evaluated, and that appropriate plans for meeting them are made
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Support the recruitment of competent staff and effectively manage the team to deliver high performance; develop team members in order to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Coach, guide, and mentor leaders of sub teams within the department so that they are effective as leaders and managers in managing their teams.
- Create and maintain a positive environment conducive for high performance of the department.
Cross organisation collaboration:
- Identify various donor priorities and funding opportunities for WASH interventions and play a lead role in development of high quality proposals and concept notes in response to these opportunities.
- Promote a culture for learning and knowledge management across the organisation. Encourage effective documentation and sharing of learning through workshops, seminars, exposure visits, sharing meetings etc.
- Promote interaction and collaboration between departments
- Represent WANG in different taskforces, working committees, networks, alliances, workshops and meetings as assigned.
- Deliver other cross organizational projects and/or initiatives as may be required by the Country Director
- Master's degree or higher, preferably in a discipline directly or closely related to WASH, such as Water Resources, Engineering, Development Management, or Public Health
- Minimum ten (10) years professional experience and at least three (3) of which should be in a senior management position in reputed international or national non -governmental organization (NGO).
- At least 5 years proven experience of leading development programmes that deliver transformational change through advocacy and influencing
- Experience managing WASH projects and programmes; experience with market-based solutions, urban WASH, and/or results-based financing would be a strong advantage.
- Proven ability to innovate and develop a successful change agenda
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative partnerships and alliances for influencing government policy and programme delivery
- Knowledge of policy and advocacy networks and social movements in Nigeria & West Africa region
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues, including experience working with key WASH sector donors
- Understanding of rights based approaches to development and how they might apply to the WASH sector in Nigeria
- Strong financial management skills including developing and managing complex budgets, and experience in preparing donor progress and financial reports.
- Experience of leading the design and implementation of service delivery projects; experience facilitating capacity building or institutional support activities targeting staff and partners
- Basic understanding of monitoring and evaluation tools and methodologies.
- Demonstrated expertise of leading, managing, and motivating others, and building high performing teams
- Strategic thinker. Able to see the bigger picture, challenges and opportunities and create a long term vision. Able to lead strategic discussions.
- Ability to take outputs from critical thoughts/analysis to inform ‘hands on’ problem solving
- Excellent relationship management skills. Proven ability in building strong working relationship with colleagues and a variety of stakeholders such as government officials, partners and community members, donors, business leaders, senior academics, other sector actors and high level decision makers.
- Able to work with and across the organisation and other teams effectively.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to present and act as a spokesperson for WaterAid in a way that builds credibility and influence.
- Fluent in English; competence in Nigerian local languages a strong advantage
- Able to plan, prioritise and organise self and others, Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
Application Closing Date
- In-depth understanding of the WASH sector, key sector stakeholders and critical blockagesExperience of transitioning from international governance structures to a local independent entity
23rd February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an expression of interest letter and updated CV to: email@example.com
The submission must indicate position title as subject/in the subject line of the email.
Click Here to View Job Descriptions (pdf)
- To apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria
- Candidates who had submitted responses to our previous advert need not apply again.