WaterAid - We are an international non governmental organisation with a mission to transform lives by improving access to safe water, improved hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.
We seek high calibre professionals to play leading roles in our mission to transform lives with safe water sanitation and hygiene in the world’s poorest communities in the capacity:
Job Title: Director, Business Development and Strategy
Contract type: Full time, 3-4 years fixed term (renewable based on performance)
Reports to: Country Director
Manages: Coordinator, Funding; Coordinator, Planning & Strategy; Coordinator, Communications & Campaigns and Manager, Research & Knowledge management
Travel: 20% ( local and international)
Budget responsibility: Approximately £1m with potential to progressively increase
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2016-2021 country programme strategy which sets a 5 year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 15 year horizon.
- This new country strategy rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The Business Development and Strategy Directorate will drive work on WaterAid Nigeria’s strategy, planning, and reviewing the performance and impact of our programmes.
- The team encompasses communications & campaigns, learning & knowledge management and fundraising. WaterAid Nigeria’s ability to raise and manage funds will be pivotal to the success of the Country Programme strategy.
- This is a very critical role with oversight for raising and managing funds from a diversified mix of private and public sources including mass engagement, grant making private foundations and bilateral /multilateral donors.
- Within the remit of this role is leveraging our communications and campaign activities to achieve both fundraising and influencing outcomes.
- Accountability for effective CP business planning, forecasting, thematic reviews and assurance of linkages between strategy and activities rest with this position.
- The incumbent will lead the team responsible for designing and implementing an effective programme reflection, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management architecture
Business Development and Fundraising:
- Lead the Senior Management Team (SMT) members to support the development and implementation of the Country Programme fundraising strategy. Developing the short-term and long-term fundraising strategy and plan required to deliver WaterAid Nigeria’s overall strategy.
- Research and secure new funding streams from international & national-based academia, private for profit and non-profit entities, mass engagement and multilateral /bilateral funding sources. Initiate and coordinate fundraising campaigns and events to maximise new engagement and funding opportunities.
- Maintain clear communication channels with donors and with member country fundraising teams when approaching new donors and managing existing ones, sharing information to maximise donor engagement opportunities globally and maintain a clear record of reasons for proceeding with or rejecting opportunities.
- Lead all funding proposal development and contract processes in WaterAid Nigeria. Anchor funding proposal development activities, including contributions and inputs of the CP programme, finance, people teams as well as WAWA and UK departments to delivering grant proposals and budgets of the highest quality. Propose, seek inputs and negotiate funding contracts terms and agreements which protect WaterAid Nigeria with donors and ensure WaterAid Nigeria’s capacity to meet contractual requirements.
- Ensure all WaterAid proposal review protocols are completed and in line with gold standards for fundraising
Strategy & Planning:
- Responsible for developing and implementing processes that ensure all CP plans and activities are aligned with the CP strategy and for building effective collaborations with respective thematic leads to ensure that sub strategies developed are in full alignment with focus of the CP strategy
- Accountable for a coordinated monitoring of strategy implementation ; conduct of strategy reviews and evaluations ( periodic and midterm strategy reviews; Country Programme Evaluations etc) and for tracking the implementation of actions plans agreed from strategy reviews and evaluations
- Accountable for the design and implementation of sound monitoring , evaluation and learning/knowledge management processes and systems across all aspects of CP life.
- Accountable for coordinating inputs from CP units and delivery of quality annual CP business planning and reporting processes.
- Ensure periodic programme review reflections are held at both country , departmental and state programme levels in line with WaterAid Planning , Monitoring , Evaluation & Reporting (PMER) guidelines
- Ensure tools are developed and utilized for capturing and maintaining up to date inventory of WaterAid communities, institutions and facilities (water points and constructed latrines) at all times.
- Advocate and promote cohesion and synergy between fundraising, communications & campaigns and service delivery elements of WaterAid Nigeria’s activities
- Responsible for proactively seeking and optimizing opportunities to increase WaterAid’ Nigeria’s image, visibility and profile as a leader in the international NGO and WASH sector.
- Support the recruitment of competent staff and effectively manage the team to deliver high performance; develop team members in order to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Coach, guide, and mentor leaders of sub teams within the department so that they are effective as leaders and managers in managing their teams.
- Create and maintain a positive environment conducive for high performance of the department.
Cross Organisation Collaboration:
- Promote a culture for learning and knowledge management across the organisation. Encourage effective documentation and sharing of learning through workshops, seminars, exposure visits, sharing meetings etc.
- Be an active member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and contribute to strategic direction, organisational decision-making, and other management related issues
- Promote interaction and collaboration between departments
- Represent WANG in different taskforces, working committees, networks, alliances, workshops and meetings as assigned.
- Deliver other cross organizational projects and/or initiatives as may be required by the Country Director
- University/Master's level degree in International Development, Business, Marketing or other related discipline
- Minimum of Ten (10) years of prior work experience and at least three (3) years’ should be in senior level position with responsibility for strategy development or programme monitoring & evaluation or fundraising in a similar organization
- Strong marketing and business development competencies
- Experience in designing projects and delivering activities under tight completion deadlines.
- Strong understanding and experience from managing grant funding from key multilateral and bilateral donors including USAID, DFID, EC etc
- Experience developing donor specific grant project log frames and reporting tools and in applying such tools in reviewing, monitoring and reporting against funder contracts.
- Proven experience developing and reviewing grant funding proposals with evidence of managing end to end process from proposal development to new grant project start up.
- Proven experience in building and successfully maintaining strong working relationships with diverse personalities both internally and with external funders
- Excellent inter-personal and networking skills with experience of developing and cultivating effective network of business development contacts and relationships
- Experience with analysis of strategic business risk and the experience creating best fit approaches to manage /mitigate such risk
- Strong numerical ability, ability to develop and review complex budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Including excellent report writing skills, and the ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
- Experience of working in a matrix management structure
- Ability to influence others to achieve results and deliver on time
- Attention to detail and ability to produce high quality and accurate documentation
- Ability to effectively support and challenge colleagues and other stakeholders
- Effectively plan, prioritise and co-ordinate the work of others in the team and other teams
- Ability to work autonomously with minimum supervision and can work under pressure to competing demands.
- Ability to resolve conflicts as required and negotiate effectively with others
- Strong initiative, with a willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- At least 3 years’ experience of leading and managing others and driving change.
Application Closing Date
- Experience of reviewing and monitoring government, corporate and other donor agency contracts
- Experience of supporting the development of fundraising strategies at a country/regional level
- Experience in developing relationships with governments, corporate and other funders
- Existing network of institutional and or corporate donors.
23rd February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an expression of interest letter and updated CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The submission must indicate position title as subject/in the subject line of the email.
Click Here to View Job Descriptions (pdf)
- To apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria
- Candidates who had submitted responses to our previous advert need not apply again.