Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments to build secure, productive, and just communities. We believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change. Since the 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, and currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs in some of the world’s toughest places.
Mercy Corps started its operations in Nigeria in 2012, and since then has been providing humanitarian assistance in response to the crisis in the North East, helping adolescent girls’ in getting access to education and economic resources, ensuring vulnerable households have the skills needed to pursue economic activities, decreasing conflicts in the Middle Belt and other parts of the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Warehouse Manager
Biu, Borno State
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps Nigeria’s North East program aim to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
Essential Job Responsibilities
- The Mercy Corps Food Warehouse Manager will manage all warehouse inventory and will ensure that all documentations in relation to dispatches/distributions is maintained as per donor’s requirement as well as MC’s standard commodity management policies and procedures.
- The warehouse Manager will be responsible for all warehouse operations and directly supervises the Store Keepers, tally clerk, Security Guards and Cleaners, etc.
- The warehouse manager position is based in Biu and h/se will travel frequently to Damboa in order to observe food distribution and perform all tasks required at that location.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Ensure that all incoming commoditiesare received against waybills and proper remarks are made on the waybills stating any irregularity or discrepancy between the original condition of the commodities and their condition at the time of receipt.
- Keep track and update warehouse transactions by using warehouse ledger, stack bin card, tally sheet, waybill, physical inventory sheet, inventory logbook, logistic summary, general correspondence and other related warehouse documents, and maintained the documents properly.
- Ensure that commodity dispatches are done in accordance with their pre-approved dispatch store release order.
- Carry out truck inspections before commodity are loaded/unloaded to/from the trucks to ensure the suitability of the trucks to carry MC’s commodity.
- Coordinate laborers’ activities and ensure there are enough laborers to support the activities (loading, unloading, reconstitution of shortage or damaged commodity, warehouse cleaning, restacking,etc.)
- Ensure that all necessary equipment such as scales, filing cabinets, torches and material such as cleaning, stationary, rodent control and office furniture are supplied to the warehouse
- Arrange for fumigation of commodities at stores on regular basis to avoid any infestation and damages.
- Provide weekly report to Commodity Manager and Program team regarding commodity movement, stock available for distribution and any other issues during the week.
- Do physical count on daily basis and report if any differencesfound between physical count and book balance.
- As needed, perform training on commodity handling to warehouse staff, laborers or iinstitutions/community leaders.
- Fill out Loss and Adjustments Report if any damages or losses found in the warehouse. Avoid any loss or damages due to negligence.
- Represent Mercy Corps in a professional manner to suppliers, government officials, local and international community groups, suppliers, the UN and others as needed.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary, according to Mercy Corps policy.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Knowledge and Experience
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Must have full knowledge of warehouse management with at least 5 years of previous experience handling food and non-food commodities in a large warehouse
- Previous experience working with UN or INGO handling USAID / USDA food is added advantage
- Degree level education in relevant filed such as Business Management, Accounting, Logistics and Supply
- Ability to multi-task and process information into action to avoid delays in program implementation
- A clear understanding of warehouse ethics and donor compliance is essential
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Strong computer skills on MS office programs, excel, MS word
- Good oral and written skills as well as Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required
Application Closing Date
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude.Ideally, S/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, willingness to be flexible and adjust schedule as per program needs.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
22nd February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and CV's in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.