Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments to build secure, productive, and just communities. We believe that transitional environments - countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters - offer tremendous opportunities for positive change. Since the 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, and currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs in some of the world’s toughest places.
Mercy Corps started its operations in Nigeria in 2012, and since then has been providing humanitarian assistance in response to the crisis in the North East, helping adolescent girls’ in getting access to education and economic resources, ensuring vulnerable households have the skills needed to pursue economic activities, decreasing conflicts in the Middle Belt and other parts of the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Tally Clerk
Damboa, Borno State
Program / Department Summary
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria's North East program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for counting commodities as and when commodities are received, dispatching commodities out of warehouse and making sure that the quantity mentioned in the receipt/dispatch waybills are accurately received and inventory properly reconciled against books.
- Assist in ensuring that commodities are received / dispatched correctly by taking count at the time of off-loading and loading inside the store and on the truck.
- If there is any short/excess received the tally clerk will immediately bring to the attention of the warehouse officer/warehouse assistant.
- Ensure that stack cards are updated on daily basis and is tallied with the main store inventory ledger.
- Inspect commodities at all time to make sure that there are no damages. If damages are noticed, the tally clerk with bring it to the attention of Warehouse Assistant and Warehouse Officer
- Ensure that reconstitution of damages commodities are carried out on a timely basis and prepare loss and adjustment report.
- Ensure that stores are clean at all times and arrange for fumigation to secure commodities.
- Will be responsible for stores and commodities during the absence of the warehouse officer
- Represent Mercy Corps in a professional manner to suppliers, government officials, local and international community groups, suppliers, the UN and others as needed.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Must have minimum two years of experience working in a warehouse, handling food and non-food
- At least Degree in relevant field
- A clear understanding of warehouse ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Strong computer skills on MS office programs, excel, MS word.
- Good oral and written skills as well as Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required
Application Closing Date
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally, S/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, willingness to be flexible and adjust schedule as per program needs.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
22nd February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and CV's in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.