Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments to build secure, productive, and just communities. We believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change. Since the 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, and currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs in some of the world’s toughest places.
Mercy Corps started its operations in Nigeria in 2012, and since then has been providing humanitarian assistance in response to the crisis in the North East, helping adolescent girls’ in getting access to education and economic resources, ensuring vulnerable households have the skills needed to pursue economic activities, decreasing conflicts in the Middle Belt and other parts of the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer (Food Distribution)
Damboa , Borno
Supervisory Responsibility: Food distributors
Reports Directly To: Deputy team leader
Works Directly With: Finance, Program, MEL, and Operation Teams
Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including WFP, OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engages in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection, livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Mercy Corps Program Officer (Food Distribution) is to ensure that all documentations in relation to distributions are regularly maintained as per donor’s requirement and MC’s standard commodity management policies and procedures, and made available to the management in an orderly manner.
- The position is based in Damboa with at least 100% time to be spent in the field in training, and assisting Food distributors to perform their job as per the expectation of the agency. Support the deputy team lead in developing food requirement and distribution plan to be shared with WFP.
Knowledge And Experience
- Working with information provided by the Program team, the Food Distribution Officer will create weekly distribution schedules for commodities being delivered to distribution points. The Food Distribution Officer will coordinate with warehouse manager and logistics team to ensure that sufficient commodities, labor and transportation are available to realize distribution schedule effectively
- Based on the distributions plans, prepare individual dispatch store release order and obtain approval from the Deputy Team Leader and Nutrition Officer.
- Accompany distributions to field and ensure that distribution is carried out in accordance with commodity handling guidelines. Check completeness of beneficiary list. Ensure distribution point has sufficient labor/volunteer available to accomplish job
- Arrange proper crowd control barriers such as fencing, guards, etc., to facilitate smooth and speedy distribution of commodities.
- Ensure distribution date/time and inform recipients through te community leaders
- If required, arrange necessary scoops, scales and scoopers
- Display on visible sign board/banner and at the distribuiton center the actual ration scale to be used on that particular day and ensures that beneficiaries are aware of their right ration
- Ensure issuance of correct rations to intended recipients through proper distribuiton/scooping procedures.
- Fill out monitoring form following each distribution. Document and analyze any problems encountered during distribution and recommend follow-up
- Provide daily and weekly report to Deputy Team Leader and Nutrition Officer comparing actual and planned distribution
- Complete standard Distribution Center visit report at the end of each distribution and submit to Deputy Team Leader. Before Submitting to the supervisor make sure that the total quantity of each commodity distributed reconciled to the distribution list
- Ensure that commodity balances at the end of the distribution are returned to Mercy Corps warehouse through return waybill documenting the commodity/units/ and total kilogram.
- prepare loss and adjustment report for any loss of commodity at the time of distribution.
- As needed, perform training on commodity handling and food distribution to the program staff, and community leader.
- Complete all monitoring, evaluation and data reports in timely, accurate manner.
- Establish cordial, professional relations with communities and others involved with food logistics, allowing Mercy Corps to provide appropriate assistance and enforce conditions for receiving food distribution.
- Represent Mercy Corps in a professional manner to suppliers, government officials, local and international community groups, suppliers, the UN and others as needed.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Application Closing Date
- BA/S in relevant field required;
- 3 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general program management experience required.
- Must have full knowledge on food and non-food distribution working with UN or INGO.
- Minimum two to three year work experience working in large scale IDP camps/host food distribution.
- Should have professional approach dealing with refugees and IDP beneficiaries
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Should be a team player and adjust to work in team.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required.
22nd February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and CV's in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.