Development Innovations Group (DIG) implements activities in transitioning and developing economies, as well as post-disaster and post-conflict settings throughout the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. DIG has more than 50 staff worldwide. We maintain management offices in: Metropolitan Washington, D.C., USA; Port-au-Prince, Haiti; and Nairobi, Kenya, allowing closer proximity and faster response time to address the needs of our clients. DIG’s primary clients and partners include multi- and bi-lateral development agencies, private sector institutions, foundations, and non-governmental organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
- The purpose of the US-AID Nigeria Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Coordination Project is to achieve the dual benefits of improved health and well-being for Nigerians and through increased and more financially sustainable access to WASH services and to build the confidence of the public in the government’s ability to deliver basic services.
- Development Innovations Group (DIG), operating as DIG Development Innovations Limited, (DIG Nigeria) has been awarded the task to deliver these objectives. The WASH Coordination Project will be executed for a period of two years, ending in November 2018. An office will be established in the city of Kaduna and a smaller satellite office in Bauchi. The work of DIG Nigeria will consist primarily of institution strengthening, research and knowledge management to support the water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH) sector in Kaduna and Bauchi State.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- DIG-Nigeria’s daily activities will be supported by the services of the Admin Officer assigned specific office administrative and financial management responsibilities, under the supervision of the Finance Manager, making up the Finance and Administration Team.
- The incumbent shall facilitate the smooth running of the Office and provide effective information and data processing support. The key responsibilities of the Admin Officer are outlined in this job description.
The incumbent would be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties and results areas:
- Administrative support services:
- Support the establishment and management of office operations with respect to communications, contacts, meetings and work flow; identify and organize issues that may require special treatment as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the attention of CoP.
- Support in establishing internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; and receive, screen, register and treat correspondence and documents accordingly.
- Organize appointments and maintain finance and administration calendars and reporting schedule,
- Provide front office services, including receiving visitors, placing and screening telephone calls and responding to enquiries;
- Organize high-level meetings including taking responsibility for finalizing meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and taking minute of meetings. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follows-up on required actions.
- Facilitate smooth running of the office and the effective processing of information, data and custody of documents; verify that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; and monitor work progress, identify cases of priority and concern and bring this to the attention of supervisor.
- Works closely with team colleagues and provide support in achievement of work priorities and objectives.
- Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Professional discretion and confidential management of complex, sensitive information and subjects:
- Keeps abreast of activities of importance to program stakeholders, including on latest policies, procedures and organizational changes in stakeholder operating environment that may affect the project team.
- Establish and maintain a record management system containing reference materials and confidential records of minutes and decisions as required.
- Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine matters
- Provide high level of discretion and confidentiality through personal image, comportment and official and personal interactions.
- Effective logistics operation - preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/communications, hotel booking, procurement supplies and transportation planning contributing to achievement of work objectives:
- Work with supervisor in making transport arrangements for field mission visits for staff as per monthly travel plan and arrange for timely airport protocol, meet and greet (pick up and drop off) in respect to travelers including MOPOL transport arrangements where required. Ensure provision of MOSS compliant vehicles for protocol services.
- Work with supervisor to make hitch free flight bookings and ensure timely issuance of flight tickets for staff members on mission. Review ticket invoices against bookings made to ensure accuracy before processing payment
- Support the Supervisor as assigned with issues regarding hotel reservation to meet office and partners' needs, works closely with team colleagues and provide field transportation support in achievement of work priorities and objectives.
- Contribute to establishment of a consistent system and procedure for correspondences and documentations for scheduling and confirming field and overseas travels – hotel, field transport and flights – in compliance with DIG policies and report regularly to the supervisor.
- Finance and accounting support function:
- Anticipate cash needs of the office and plan payments and request transfers accordingly
- Ensure financial supporting documents are produced per DIG financial policy and procedure.
- Maintain supplier information and stamp, logistic support documents, approvals / signatures etc.
- Work with supervisor in the preparation and sending of accounting documents for monthly closing to the HQ
- Ensure regular payments related to administration activities ex: electricity, water, office bills etc
- Work with supervisor to keeps up to date on DIG HQ finance and administration policies and procedures and disseminates these to colleagues
- Manage petty cash system of the office,
- Receive and review payment invoices for accuracy, correctness;
- Prepare project payment vouchers (Purchase order) as instructed by the FM;
- Write checks for approved expenses for Authorized persons’ approval and signing and deliver remittances to colleagues, vendors, service providers or local government offices as required, ensuring proper documentation for receipt of payments;
- Ensure all expenses, payments, receipts, bank reconciliations and any other required financial data are entered correctly and properly and in a timely fashion in project online QuickBooks accounting program
- Proper records and documents well maintained in the field office:
- Maintains records and confidential documents in the field office.
- Maintain auditable filing system of all the financial documents ensuring that they are filed sequentially, month by month and are duly organized in clearly labelled subject files.
- Ensure operations and delivery of administrative support services for travel and missions are timely and effectively provided on the field.
To succeed in this position, you will need to have the following:
Application Closing Date
- Basic Education and Qualifications:
- B.Sc/HND in Business Administration or any other Social Sciences.
- GCE “0” level with at least 4 credit passes including English Language
- Computer skills certification
- At least 5 years’ (Administrative Officer) and 3 years’ (Administrative Assistant) work experience in an admin role in an established organization
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Experience with completing events planning and organisation and preparation of reports
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, independent judgment and discretion in completing assignments, seeking approval as appropriate
- Knowledge of / familiarity with defensive driving techniques
- Good knowledge of major road networks in Nigeria.
- Prior work with development sector organization / an International NGO setting would be an added advantage
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with various software, including dexterity in the use of internet
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Ability to use the computer for word processing assignments and produce large volumes of materials
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
- A clear sense of maturity, ability to work under pressure and maintain calm disposition under provocation or pressure
- Demonstrable knowledge in accounting and banking transactions
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English Language
- Ability to understand and work within complex situations
- Ability to speak Hausa
- Personal Qualities:
- Commitment to DIG Nigeria’s culture and values
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team and multi-cultural environment
- You will also need to have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times
- An orientation towards customer service
- Willing to travel occasionally out of their work station 25% - 30% of their time, when duty demands and at short notice.
- Ability to abide by confidentiality requirement
- Able to motivate others
6th March, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their application and resume (CV) as a single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to apply online