British Red Cross, We are part of a global voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and individual emergencies. We help vulnerable people in the UK and abroad prepare for, withstand and recover from emergencies in their own communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Urban Livelihoods Specialist - Economic Security (EcoSec) Delegate
Key Experiences and Skills Required
- British Red Cross is currently looking for an experienced humanitarian project manager with a background in livelihoods and cash transfer programming, specifically in urban contexts to work within the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Nigeria.
- The delegate will be seconded to the ICRC to undertake a needs assessment of urban populations in the cities of Maiduguri (Borno State in the North East of Nigeria) and Port Harcourt (Rivers State, South East of Nigeria).
- The main purpose of the role is to conduct a comprehensive review on the impact of conflict and other situations of violence in urban contexts in Nigeria and to provide recommendations to improve the relevance and quality of ICRC's livelihoods strategies and projects. The successful candidate will have experience in conducting baseline studies and field surveys.
- The review will also explore the possibility of and suitability of cash based assistance in livelihoods programmes for urban populations. The delegate will also design such activities where they are identified as feasible.
- Additionally the delegate will be in charge of training and coaching the Nigerian Red Cross Society teams in the branches involved in the delivery of livelihood programmes to ensure that they acquire the necessary competencies.
- This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and to contribute to building its expertise in livelihoods and cash based assistance. This position offers the opportunity to work on a project developed in collaboration with the ICRC and the British Red Cross. This role will entail community facing activities and visits in urban contexts, and will therefore require a high sensitivity to gender and protection related matters.
- This role will be based in the Abuja with extensive field travel (75%) to the two urban contexts selected: Maiduguri and Port Harcourt. While in Maiduguri and Port Harcourt, the delegate will be staying in the ICRC sub-delegations. The contract will be a 6 months assignment.
- Experience in humanitarian project management in urban contexts
- Very good technical skills in livelihoods and solid understanding of livelihoods framework
- Cash based assistance skills or experience working on livelihoods programmes delivered through cash
- Experience in conducting baseline surveys, field assessment and evaluation a major advantage
- Fluent English language skills mandatory.
- Working knowledge of local Nigerian languages would be an asset
- Previous experience in conflict-affected contexts required
- Previous experience living and working in sub-saharan Africa
- Education degree in Economics, Business Administration or similar
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement an asset
- Experience of delivering trainings an asset
- Willingness to work with flexible hours during field travel and in hazardous security environments
ICRC Operational & Field Constraints:
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals - Please indicate which passports you hold in your supporting statement.
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must possess a driving license (for manual transmission vehicles)
£30,056 per annum
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2017.
Commencing 5th June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online