The U.S. Embassy
in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Economic Assistant in the Economic Section.
Position Title: Economic Assistant, FSN-07/FP-07
Basic function of the position:
Incumbent assists with the activities of the Economic Section Locally Employed Staff (LES) Unit. Responsibilities include economic analysis, daily press reviews, building contacts with Nigerian economic officers, drafting analytical cables, preparation of standardized economic reports and supporting USG visitors. This position reports directly to the Deputy Economic Counselor.
To obtain a copy of this announcement please visit our Mission websites at:
All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- A University degree in Economics or Business Administration.
- Minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience in economic analysis is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required.
- Level III (good working knowledge) Speaking in at least one Nigerian local language is required.
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s political, economic, social structure and economic concepts and methods is required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills on developing, analyzing and presenting economic subjects in reporting and briefings, including statistics and interrelated economic developments is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with the ability to draft memoranda, cables, letters and reports.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Salary: OR – Ordinarily Resident
–N2,957,362 p.a.(Starting basic salary)
Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor - Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM -
US$34,324 (Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-07
Application Closing Date:
13th February, 2014
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST
submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus.
- Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
Submit Application To:
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or submit to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here for full job description