The Federal Government of Nigeria
through the Public Works, Youth and Women Employment Component of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Program (SURE-P) established the GIS, which aims to provide the unemployed graduates youths with job apprenticeship opportunities that will expose them to skills and experiences relevant to the current labour market and enhance their employability.
One of the most critical and significant social and economic change requirements for Nigeria today is Youth empowerment. Youth unemployment has been reported to be as high as 35% especially among the 18-24 year olds. In recognition of the potential contribution that youth can make to our national development, and the corresponding disruption of development that could ensue if this potential is not properly harnessed, is the reason for which this project has been initiated as part of SURE-P.
Public Works, Youth and Women Employment (PW/WYE) Component of the SURE - P which the GIS falls under invites applications from Nigerian Employers to register for Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS).
Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS)
GIS seeks to create opportunity for eligible graduate youths to be placed as interns in reputable public/private sector firms to enhance building the manpower requirement to drive the Nation’s Transformation Agenda and Vision 20:2020.
The Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) will employ 50,000 youth across the country to ensure that their skills have been developed towards empowering them to be employable in the short/medium/long term. GIS will ensure that youths are attached as apprentices in reputable public/private firms for a period of one year where the skills of such individuals will be sharpened.
In view of the above, the Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) is established as part of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE – P) and it will employ 50,000 youth across the country to ensure that their skills have been developed towards empowering them to be employable in the short/medium/long term. GIS will ensure that youths are attached as apprentices in reputable public/private firms for a period of one year where the skills of such individuals will be sharpened as well as boosttheir chances of becoming self employed. While the GIS is designed as a short-term measure, it has high prospects for job creation. The specific objectives of the program are:
To enhance the employability of up to 50,000 unemployed graduates in the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT through internship programs in pre-selected institutions; and
To reduce the vulnerability of unemployed graduates.
To build manpower base towards attaining national development operations.
During this period the Federal Government of Nigeria will be responsible for paying a monthly stipend to the graduate interns. The participating institution will be expected to provide adequate opportunities for training and mentoring the interns.
To register as an employer for this scheme you MUST:
- Be registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and other relevant professional bodies.
- Provide evidence of VAT Registration and the latest Tax Clearance Certificate.
- Prove that they are economically viable and engaged in legitimate business by providing other relevant documents e.g. Company Profile, Audited Accounts etc. This information will be used to examine the firm’s progression since its inception.
- Be prepared to provide a mentoring plan for each intern.
- Be prepared with specific assignments for interns.
- Be able to employ interns for a period of one (1) year.
Companies with outstanding tax issues or where the owners or directors have convictions for Fraud will not be eligible to register for the programme.
Benefits to Firms/Organizations:
Expected Outcomes of the GIS:
- Build human capital prepared for current and future labour demand.
- Be part of building manpower base for natural development and enhance our attainment of Vision 20:2020.
- Opportunity to recruit talented interns after graduation from the GIS.
Payment of Interns
- Increased skills of youth
- Increased number of interns employed or engaged in self-employment.
- Increased Small and Medium Enterprises.
How To Apply
- Payment of Intern will be undertaken directly by the PW/WYE PIU to the Graduate Intern.
- Neither the Graduate nor the Employer are required to pay any fee for using the Graduate Intern Scheme service, and no fees, charges or commissions are to be paid to any party in relation to this scheme by the Graduate or the Employer.
Interested employers should:
Click here to start registration process
Click here for more information
This application is only for Employers (Companies).
To apply as a graduate for this program, you should click below:
Graduate Internship Scheme for Graduates
Sometimes it is difficult tracing back cherished posts. Now it is as easy as saving Favourite Posts and retrieving them by simply clicking My Favourite Posts
at the top login bar. To enable us match your favourite posts with your name, you need to register a free account with hotnigerianjobs.com. You can use your facebook to Register or Login, just click the facebook button below:
OR, use our system to Login by Clicking here
or Register by Clicking here