APM Terminals is one of the largest container terminal operators in the world. The diverse portfolio includes substantial interests in more than 40 ports around the globe. We continue to actively develop and invest in new projects and opportunities in ports and terminal management. In terms of the future, we are determined to stay at the forefront of our industry by providing value-adding e-business solutions, customer relations management and innovative use of technologies.
APM Terminals commenced operations in Nigeria in March, 2006. Apapa is Nigeria's largest port and contains a number of wharfs. To date, the staff comprises over 900 highly skilled and motivated foreign and local staff. We stand for operational excellence – from modern equipment, facilities, advanced technology and proven processes and terminal management. We are currently looking for an individual who share our commitment to providing services that are second-to-none.
APM Terminals is recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: Rubber Tyre Gantry Crane Operator
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Operate the Rubber Tyred Gantry cranes for receiving / loading / Shifting in the stack / housekeeping activity for containers to and from the yard for vessels operations or serving the land side customers for deliveries etc as per work order queues in a safe manner. The position reports to Land side Shift Manager.
Requirements and Skills
- Operates rubber tyred gantry cranes to load and unload containers to and from internal and external road trucks in the port.
- Inspects equipment at beginning of shift to ensure that all of the parts are operating properly.
- Identifies and reports any safety problems, malfunctions, or damage to quay crane equipment, before, during or after the shift.
- Follows safe operating procedures and instructions, preventing any injury to persons, or damage to containers and other equipment and property.
- Carries out duties and tasks in an efficient, productive manner.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Acts as foreman under Hook when not operating the RTG Cranes.
Application Closing Date
- Minimum SCCE/WAEC requirement.
- Requires at least two years or more of equipment operations terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Previous experience as a reach stacker operator or empty handler would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices terminal operations.
- Requires understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Basic English: oral and writing skills. Also must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi cultural environment is an advantage.
- Has a Valid Driving Licence.
- Requires capability to anticipate problems; recognize key issues in problems and escalate to immediate supervisor.
- Self motivated
- Analytical and systematic
- Requires the ability to follow instructions & plan the work day.
- Required to keep work area organized, neat and efficiently planned (5S).
- Requires the ability to learn fast.
- Must be safety conscious.
17 September, 2012
Method of Application
This position is a local position, based in Lagos, Nigeria
Please apply through the job portal and ensure to upload/attach a recent CV. Only CVs received through our job portal will be attended to.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here and apply online