The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Shelter/Wash Officer
Contract length: 7 months with possibility of extension
Level: SB3 (national contract)
Start date: As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
- DRC is the process of scaling up and emergency programme in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian needs and challenges in the North East of Nigeria.
- Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing-armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force in the north-east.
- The Senior WASH and Shelter Officer’s primary function is to provide technical support and assist in overall coordination of all WASH and Shelter sector projects.
General Programming & Operations:
- Contribute to the development of DRC’s strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities for the WASH and Shelter sector and ensure that they are in line with DRC’s Nigeria strategy.
- Develop and plan procedures and tools for implementation of the WASH and Sector project in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Responsible for developing WASH and Shelter cash focus in line with detailed activity plans and procurements plans.
- Monitor the budget(s) according to financial Handbook, donor requirements and regulations.
- Ensure continuous capacity building of WASH team.
- Represent WASH in internal and external coordination forums.
- Promote and advocate the rights of IDPs/returnees and explore and asses new and better ways to assist· Support the Rapid Response Teams in organising emergency response in country.
- Further develop and design WASH programs in the country.
- Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH and Shelter issues.
- Represent DRC at WASH and Shelter meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings.
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop the projects’ M&E tools
- Project implementation and reporting.
- Ensure management of WASH project grants through budget control.
- Ensure quality control during implementation of WASH activities in accordance to Sphere and National standards.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
- Supervise WASH and Shelter officer, Hygiene Promotion officers and WASH & Shelter Assistants.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community based mechanisms in operational areas as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets for the respective staff reporting to him/her.
- Conduct daily field visits or as required to ensure WASH tasks are going on as planned and mentoring - through technical back stopping and training of duty bearers.
Logistics / Finance:
- Support the WASH and Shelter Manager to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-ups.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
- Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
- At least 2 years experience in planning, implementing and evaluating hygiene promotion projects preferably in a humanitarian context with an INGO.
- Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH AND Shelter operations and implementation
- Understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in the country and the region.
- Good IT skills (especially Ms. Office)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environment Health Science, Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health
Application Closing Date
- Understanding of rights and protection issues of refugees, children and women
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- Experiencing of managing teams
24th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letters, indicating and explaining their suitability to the position applied for, and updated CV's (no longer than four pages) in English and addressed to the Recruitment Manager via: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position title must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- CV's will be review on rolling bases.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.