ICAP - A global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
Working hand-in-hand with individuals at every level of the health system–from patients to health care providers to government officials - ICAP is dedicated to delivering high-performing health system strengthening initiatives that provide quality and affordable health care. The organization tackles the world’s most pressing health threats and, in collaboration with partners around the world, implements transformative solutions to meet the health needs of individuals.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technical Specialist
- The Laboratory Technical Specialist will be responsible for providing technical laboratory leadership, including providing technical assistance and capacity building support, to Conduct of National (Population-Based) HIV/AIDS Impact Survey (NPHIA) in Nigeria.
- The Lab Technical Specialist will assist in the standardization and implementation of a laboratory agenda, and strengthening of country laboratory networks and quality management systems.
- In addition, s/he will provide capacity building for in-country laboratory partners. Note: this position is contingent on receipt of award and donor approval.
- Provides support and supervision to ICAP laboratory specialists
- Guides the development and/or refinement of laboratory-related policies, strategic plans, guidelines, manuals and standard operating procedures, training materials, quality management systems, referral testing systems, data management systems and the evaluation and establishment of new technologies.
- Lead the review and approval, ensuring consistency and quality, of all laboratory-related aspects of protocols and associated questionnaires once they have been adapted to specific context.
- Provides oversight and technical assistance in strengthening laboratory systems and networking, implementing quality management systems and pursuing local and international accreditation.
- Oversee the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for each laboratory component of the HIV impact survey, including specimen collection, storage, transport, and testing.
- Assists with development and writing of publications, including manuals and journal articles.
- Represents ICAP regarding laboratory issues with appropriate US government and host country government entities.
- Oversee the development and implementation of quality control measures that will monitor specimen quality and storage conditions, including temperature and time.
- Ph.D (or professional equivalent) in Laboratory Sciences or related relevant scientific field required. Work experience may substitute for PhD if appropriate.
- Master's Degree in Public Health (in addition to PhD or equivalent) preferred.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
Application Closing Date
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in laboratory services and laboratory management.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in laboratory management, quality assurance, quality control, biosafety, document development, specimen management, and use of electronic information systems within a laboratory context.
- Experience with HIV rapid test and laboratory-based HIV testing, as well as molecular and other HIV-related tests
- Demonstrated technical expertise in developing advocacy documents, operational plans, monitoring and evaluation and communication plans, and organizing and leading consultative meetings.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance and capacity building for international, regional and local/country laboratory partners.
- Proven ability to effectively mentor and advise multi-cultural laboratory professionals and national program managers.
- Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
31st October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV's and Cover letters to: email@example.com
with “Laboratory Technical Specialist - Nigeria” in the subject line.