African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Health Analyst
Position N°: 50072675
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice-Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s :‘Light Up and Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The mission of the Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by (1) contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and (2) focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department (AHHD), within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) will spearhead the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s. The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Skills Development Division (AHHD1) which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to education, human capital and employment/livelihoods; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division (AHHD2) focusing on strengthening health systems and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also hosts various pertinent initiatives and trust funds.
The Regional Office supports countries of the Southern African Region in the main aspects of economic and social development, in particular to attain Universal Health Coverage by strengthening health systems and developing equitable and sustainable health financing systems. In this context the incumbent willreceive technical support from the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department based at the African Development Bank’s HQ in strategic matters related to health, nutrition, social protection and other aspects of human capital development including education and employment.
The main purposes of the Principal Health Analyst are:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Propose and plan health sector lending and technical assistance programs for the countries of the region (including needs for co-financing with other institutions, countries and the private sector);
- Act as the link between the Bank and the Governments of Member Countries for operational activities pertaining to the health sector;
- Conduct technical and sectoral studies and analysis in preparation of Bank Group lending for health development;
- Provide technical assistance and advice to Regional Member Countries in the region on health development issues and priorities, and on the technical aspects of projects;
- Identify, prepare, appraise and assist in the implementation of Bank-financed health sector interventions; and
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and Regional Integration Strategy Papers.
Under the supervision of the Regional Operations Manager, Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division of RDGS (regional Direction General-South), the Principal Health Analyst shall:
- Initiate and conduct missions to identify, prepare, appraise and launch health projects/programs for Bank-financing and provide recommendations regarding the amounts, terms and conditions of the loan;
- Conduct technical supervision of on-going health projects/programs by:
- Monitoring procurement of goods and services and advising executing agencies on related Bank procedures;
- Reviewing design and tender documents;
- Supervising the work of consultants and contractors;
- Providing assistance to the loan administration department on disbursement related issues;
- Ensuring that beneficiary countries submit quarterly project progress reports and audit reports regularly;
- Preparing project completion reports and drawing lessons for future bank group interventions;
- Preparing and monitoring portfolio performance reports for the health sector.
- Formulate and propose the Bank's Country Assistance Strategy for the health sector by:
- Analysing health sector policies and strategies of member countries;
- Recommending health sector studies/projects/programs to be included in the lending program for each country;
- Preparing terms of reference for health studies/reports and assist executing agencies in recruiting consultants. reviewing and approving reports;
- Initiating and maintaining dialogue with beneficiary countries and other agencies involved in the health sector.
- Coordinate loan administration activities related to health projects/programs by :
- Organizing loan negotiations and signing of loan agreements, and
- Ensuring that loan conditions are fully complied with.
- Identify and coordinate the needs for co-financing health projects/programs and initiate proposals for funding by:
- Operationalizing an integrated approach to sector investment;
- Identifying opportunities to engage the private sector and propose innovative public-private partnerships
- Monitoring and reviewing health sector aid programs of other donor agencies in each specific regional member country and determining financing gaps; and,
- Representing the Bank/Department at national and international health related meetings.
- Perform other related administrative or technical duties by:
- Drafting responses for management's signature on health related issues; and
- Attending working groups, senior management committee, loan negotiations and board meetings; and
- Liaise with other multilateral and bilateral institutions (such as: EU, WORLD BANK, WHO, UN and regional institutions -AU, ECA) in the context of the Bank's operations.
- Represent the Bank at seminars and conferences concerning health sector activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Public Health Management, Health Sciences, Health Care Administration, or other relevant discipline
- Have a minimum of six (6) years relevant experience in policy and strategy development and conducting analysis of health systems and programs particularly in Africa. Strong analytical and quantitative skills as demonstrated by the production and or contribution to analytical reports/publications; At least 5 years of relevant work on the African Continent is an added advantage;
- Outstanding organizational and problem-solving aptitude;
- Private sector experience, in leveraging the private sector, designing and developing private sector operations and public-private partnership in health will be an advantage;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Ability to develop program enhancement recommendations based on surveys and cost analysis;
- Ability to elaborate/use quantitative methods to develop data collections tools and review, evaluate, survey, and improve local, regional or international health program operations;
- Ability to transform intellectual assets/information into capability for effective action;
- Ability to build commitment and give effect to strategy objectives throughout health projects required;
- Ability to work effectively in the different context of the Bank stakeholders (including government, public sector, multilateral institutions);
- Ability to build logical analysis and evaluation skills to provide sound advices;
- Ability to delivery messages accurately and appropriately to various audiences;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
19th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online