African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Divisional Manager - Infrastructure Finance
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
- The role of the Infrastructure and Urban Development Directorate is to foster advancement of infrastructure and cities in Africa by detailed development of appropriate interventions which the Bank might finance on a regional, national or a continent-wide basis.
- The Infrastructure Finance Division is responsible for originating infrastructure operations that do not have an explicit sovereign guarantee from the beneficiary country.
- This includes non-sovereign guaranteed projects in Roads/Highways, Railways, Ports, Airports and Pipelines.
- The division leads project team that identify, appraise and supervise infrastructure projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the position is to develop project pipeline in transport infrastructure, coordinate project preparation and appraisal to be submitted for Board approval, coordinate financial close of approved projects, coordinate Supervision of projects during the implementation phase, manage team’s staffing and resources in the division.
Under the overall supervision of the Director - Infrastructure and Urban development, the Division Manager will perform the following:
- Plan and coordinate conferences and missions to promote the Bank’s non-sovereign infrastructure operations in transport and to identify potential financing opportunities;
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of preliminary evaluation notes on new projects for submission to the Department Management Team;
- Plan and coordinate the establishment of project appraisal teams for projects that have been cleared for inclusion in the pipeline;
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of project concept notes and their submission to the appropriate country teams and the operations committee review;
- Plan and coordinate due diligence missions for projects cleared for appraisal;
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of project appraisal reports and their submission to the appropriate country teams and the operations committee (or the vice president) for review and clearance;
- Plan and coordinate the submission of project appraisal reports to the Board of Directors for approval including consultation with Executive Directors, the preparation of Q&A notes, and attendance at the Board meetings;
- Plan and coordinate negotiations with clients and the preparation of final project legal documentation for signature;
- Plan and coordinate the clearance of conditions precedent and the submission of documents to ensure effective disbursement of committee projects;
- Plan and coordinate the supervision of projects during the implantation phase;
- Regularly update the annual project processing schedule and participate in the weekly PSO coordination meeting;
- Develop and maintain relations with counterparts at other DFIs;
- Ensure the effective implementation of internal process controls for all private sector projects;
- Plan and coordinate the preparation and utilization of the budget for the division;
- Undertake annual performance evaluations of all staff in the division ;
- Oversee the recruitment of new staff for the division.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's Degree (or its University equivalent) in Business, Finance, Economics, or Engineering;
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or investment or commercial banking, with focus on infrastructure transactions;
- Demonstrated track record of structuring and executing deals successfully that have performed in financial, developmental and sustainability terms.
- Deep knowledge of private sector investments requirements, financial lending instruments and processes.
- Comprehensive state-of-the art understanding of investment and portfolio management techniques.
- Familiarity with relevant strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions.
- Knowledge of Multilateral development banking, Investment banking and fund management.
- Experience of working in developing countries, including frontier markets.
- Track record of leading and managing projects and programs.
- Strong analytical, risk assessment and mitigation
- Relevant Private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Ability to develop and direct the implementation of objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Division. Ensure compliance with Bank policies and regulations.
- Ability to lead, manage and develop an integrated and diverse team, ensuring that it is well-motivated, innovative, high-performing, and well-trained.
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Team working and relationship
- Client Orientation
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.
6th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online