The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (MM/CT)
SVN No.: SVN2018/51
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (Counter Trafficking) - (10012078)
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) Grade Equivalent Contract (Renewable)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Working under the overall supervision of the Project Officer (CT/AVM), Lagos, and the direct supervision of the National Project Officer (CT/AVM), Lagos the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of activities in the thematic area of Counter Trafficking and Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants under the Migration Management unit, addressing prevention of human trafficking and provision of direct assistance to trafficked victims, as well as the implementation of service delivery support by partners and the sustainable rehabilitation and reintegration of VoTs
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Support the implementation of the Counter-Trafficking and Victim Protection activities and deliverables, including timely delivery, quality control, administrative matters, follow-up and financial support.
- Assist with monitoring the case-management of vulnerable migrants and victims of trafficking and support, including conducting screening interviews and intake as required;
- Facilitate cooperation with national stakeholders, organize work meetings, thematic workshops and training sessions of partner NGOs, local authorities and public institutions, engaged in the process of identification, referral and support of VoT and vulnerable migrants.
- Carry out individual consultations with victims of trafficking and provide immediate rehabilitation and recovery support, including coordination of medical care, psychological counselling, emergency assistance, hospitalization, as well as shelter assistance for consulted persons, if needed. Adhere to IOM’s internal guidance, policies and principles in the identification of target groups and assistance provision;
- Provide technical and administrative support to relevant state and non-state actors, including training institutions, involved with providing rehabilitation and sustainable reintegration assistance.
- Develop the beneficiary profile and needs assessment formats and ensure that information on returnees is codified and store into a database (MiMoSa) for further processing, analysis and reporting;
- Support the development of contextualised standardized victim screening, identification, referral and reporting tools, including respective indicators and launch at state level.
- Guided by the existing SOP, coordinate with UNICEF to provide family tracing and reunification (FTR) and reintegration support to unaccompanied and separated migrant child (USMC).
- Assist in the development and implementation of awareness raising activities for VoTs on their rights and available protection, as well as with private sector actors supporting rehabilitation and reintegration efforts.
- Compile inputs and prepare periodic donor reports and updates, including preparation of narrative and financial project reports;
- Support the monitoring of the reintegration of beneficiaries related activities when necessary.
- Submit monthly monitoring reports on time.
- Conduct field visits, as and when necessary.
- Completed University degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Law, Humanitarian Affairs or related field;
- Minimum of three years’ experience (or five years of experience for candidates holding a school diploma) in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience.
- Project management experience required, preferably in counselling, human relations and management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions;
- Experience in the area of migration, refugees and reintegration of migrants and victims of trafficking;
- Ability to work under stressful working conditions such as tight timelines and managing large groups of beneficiaries;
- Strong analytical, organizational and reporting skills;
- Good communication, inter-personal and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government and Non-Governmental counterparts, international organizations, civil societies and/or private sector entities;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability - takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation - works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning - promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication - listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative - actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation - develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management - identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork - contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
Application Closing Date
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
20th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should
submit their Applications via email to: [email protected]
indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2018.51 Lagos. Project Assistant (MM/CT) G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- The position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.