DRC is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, legal aid and a wide range of other protection assistance.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2014 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi and planning to run an office in Maiduguri, besides 30 staff members subject to increase in near future.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Yola/Mubi - Nigeria
Availability: 1st February, 2016
Objectives of the position
- Compliance procurement and equipment management of Yola office as defined in the Danish Refugee Council’s Operations Handbook.
- Fleet management.
- Management of staff travel to and from DRC Yola office.
- Management of guesthouse and office including Cleaners
- Manage the day to day administrative work at the office and ensure all premises in Yola are well kept and maintained.
- Upon the request of line manager, the logistics officer is to:
- To undertake local purchasing in accordance with DRC’s Procurement Policy and Operations Handbook standards.
- Ensure goods purchased are in accordance with specified requirements and match given specifications.
- Negotiate for favourable terms for purchase, e.g. discounts and credit, and follow up with the Finance Department to ensure that payments are made to the suppliers promptly.
- Ensure goods purchased are delivered to the appropriate location and/or person(s) in a timely manner, providing continuous feedback to the Procurement and Logistics Manager.
Post Holder reports to: The Logistics and procurement Manager
Staff reporting to this post:
- Logistics Assistant/s
Professional travels as per need and request of line Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
- As an integral staff member of the Danish Refugee Council, the Logistics Officer will provide support to the programme by undertaking technical and practical operational tasks to ensure smooth, safe and efficient operation of logistical activities.
- The post holder will support the Country Office in Yola as well as other sub offices.
- The jobholder may deputies the Procurement and Logistics Manager as required.
- Provide day-to-day supervision to the Assistant Logistic Officer in Yola office to ensure all the vehicles are properly cleaned, road worthy and utilized as per the organization’s polices and maintain documentations.
- Ensure that the allocation of vehicles and drivers is done in an effective manner, in response to authorized transportation requests.
- Ensure issues related to maintenance are reported immediately to the Logistics and Procurement Manager and to owner of the vehicle if hired.
- Ensure that copies of all Logbooks, Maintenance Reports, Fuel Reports and Mileage Reports exist in appropriate files for each month and all data are captured and reported.
The logistics Officer is expected to:
- Maintain the records of Assets, Equipment for Yola and sub offices in line with the Assets recording system for the country programme.
- Ensure that the assets that are issued to staff are authorised, recorded and necessary paper work exists as per the DRC policy.
- Ensure that all assets are properly maintained and looked after. Any misuse and abuse is reported to the Logistics Manager.
Inventories and Stock Management
- Ensure that all stock items are properly stored and correctly recorded as per the guidelines and the warehouse/stores in Yola are well maintained.
- Ensure that the movement of inventories To or From the warehouse & stores are correctly documented; authorized and paper work is done as per procedures.
- Inform the relevant Programme staff/managers upon the receipts and dispatches and coordinate with them, as it may be necessary. Allow requesters inspection of items upon delivery.
- Ensure stock movement documentations are updated and stock reports are produced on time.
- Ensure stocks Reports are circulated to all sector Managers biweekly or on monthly basis and per request.
Power Systems Management:
- Ensure all power generation equipment, electric appliances and power systems are well maintained
- Ensure issues related to power systems are timely reported and solutions are sought under the guidance of the Logistics Manager.
- Monthly reports of use and maintenance are produced and submitted to the Logistics Manager.
Transportation & Freight:
- Arrange for transportation of goods as required and ensure accurate documentation maintained.
- Arrange for the distribution of programme supplies as per plan and coordinate with programme teams.
- Ensure safe transportation of programme mail pouches to the field offices and the relevant procedures are adhered to by the drivers and mail carriers.
General Work and Filing:
- Implement standard DRC logistics systems and procedures
- Provide training and support to other logistics colleagues when requested.
- Ensure health and safety policy is implemented and matters related to are reported to the designated responsible manager.
- Provide technical inputs on procurements related to vehicles, generators & power systems and other technical items required for logistics operations.
- Ensure all paper work is kept according to DRC’s policies and procedures of and filed neatly with supporting documents in respective files.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties requested by line manager, where they do contradict the organization’s policies.
- Bachelor/Higher Diploma in Logistics or equivalent in Administration, economics, IT or business
- Progressive 2-5 years of experience in handling logistics and procurement preferably in an INGO.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages such as Hossa, Fulani, etc.
- Must have strong reporting and communication skills and excellent computer skills in MS Word & Excel.
- Knowledge & experience of dealing with service providers and contractors and management.
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other project locations.
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines and stress.
- Ability to work independently on his or her own initiative
- Strong team and interpersonal skills
- According to DRC's national salary scale
Fee and Conditions:
Application Closing Date
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council's Terms of Employment;
30th January, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's including names and contact details of 3 professional references plus Covering Letter all written in English by email to: [email protected]
- Only applications received through the hr nail address wilt be considered
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for tests and interviews.
- Original documentation will be asked by the interview panel.
- All the photocopies will remain the property of DRC.