World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Professional Officer (Budgeting)
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT93
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One (01) Year
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) /
AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA)
Objectives of the Programme
Description of Duties:
- To ensure that effective WHO Country presence is established to implement WHO Country Cooperation Strategies that are aligned with member States' health agenda and harmonised with the United Nations country team
Under the supervision of the Budget & Finance Officer, the Budget sub-unit support the preparation of Country Work plans and budgets, monitor the execution of budgets by the quality check of the PTAEO, report and advise on the necessary adjustments of work plans funding, including extra-budget funding for the WHO Country office:
- Assists in the planning, compilation and preparation of the Biennial Work Plan (BWP) including the allocation of assessed contributions and the voluntary contributions to programmes funding; ensuring effective awards budgeting and PTAEO check and contract types verification and provides timely support for the work plans implementation by the WHO country office.
- Reviews and provides budgetary clearance to project proposals, correspondence and requests, ensuring conformity with relevant financial regulations, policies and procedures; or refers for action financial documents, giving appropriate explanations and advising remedial or alternative action as appropriate.
- Assists the technical clusters in the preparation of AAR, AMR, ADR, work plan funding requests, submission of award budgets, reprogramming of awards and preparation of expenditure batches.
- Supports the Budget & Finance Officer in the certification of the Direct Implementation FACE report and initiates the liquidation of the encumbrance for timely closure of the related Purchase Orders after submission of the FACE report as last deliverable in the ECM
- Participates in periodic Programme Budget Monitoring and evaluation through periodic review of implementation status and provides background and reports for management information. Support the periodic/ad hoc budgetary and financial statements and returns including the annual closure of accounts.
- Briefs/debriefs professional/GS staff members (both long-term and short-term), including WCO management on relevant budget/budget control matters.
- Support Coordination and provide advice to Cluster leads and staff on work planning; integrate cluster budget plans and reporting requirements with corporate planning policies; ensure cluster compliance with all organizational requirements for budget and work planning submissions and reports.
- Essential: University Degree in Economics or Accounting with specialization in Budget/Accounting or Financial Management.
- Desirable: Post Graduate Qualification or Professional qualification or licensure in accountancy, such as Certified Public Accountant.
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
- Thorough knowledge of principles of accountancy, budget and their application.
- Excellent understanding of accounting practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant financial computer applications.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of computer applications in areas of finance and reporting, preferably the Global Management System.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Essential: Minimum of three years professional experience in finance, budget/accounting at the national level.
- Experience in WHO, other UN agencies or international organization
Application Closing Date
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Annual salary: (Net of tax) at single rate.
29th February, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.