The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-governmental organization implementing a comprehensive family-focused HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment program in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the Government of Nigeria at national, state, local and site levels. The Institute's mission is to be Center of Excellence in providing health service implementation, capacity building, and research, and ensuring equitable access to individuals and communities through innovative and evidence-based strategies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Officer, Laboratory Research (MARGIN Study)
Benin, Edo State and FCT, Abuja
Immediate Supervisor: MARGIN Study Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
- IHVN implements the MARGIN (Microbiome Affects Risk of Growth in HIV-Exposed but Uninfected Infants in Nigeria) study which is a 5-year grant funded by the U.S National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- The study is being conducted at University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin (Edo state), and is in its second of the five year project period.
The duties of the MARGIN Research Officer include, but are not limited to the following:
- Verify eligibility and recruit participants according to the MARGIN research protocol
- Collect all baseline and follow-up data from participants
- Ensure that samples are processed promptly following the Manual of Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures (MOP/SOP)
- Work with other study staff to ensure timely completion of Case Report Forms (CRF) and laboratory worksheets
- Conduct inventory for laboratory supplies
- Conduct DNA extraction on Stool, Meconium, Vaginal, Oral and Skin swabs specimens
- Performs other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Application Closing Date
- Must hold a Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Possess excellent oral and written communication in English, with proficiency in MS Office suite, especially Excel.
- Strong professional interpersonal and public relations skills
- Ability to work in a team, take instruction, share experiences, and cooperate with authority of Project Coordinator and Principal Investigator
24th February, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume, genuine supporting Documents, Academic qualifications and a one page Cover letter as one MS Word document saved with applicants name in the following format e.g. "Musa Okafor Application Research Officer, Laboratory Research (MARGIN Study)" explaining suitability to "Associate Director, Human Resources" through this email address: [email protected]
- Application must explicitly state the position and location applied for in the subject of the email e.g. Research Assistant MARGIN Study - Benin.
- Candidates are advised to provide two professional referees with functional email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Only applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- The appointment will be for 6 months in the first instance but may be renewed subject to continued funding and to mutual consent by the two parties.
- The successful applicant must be prepared to accept flexible working hours.