The Nigerian Red Cross, as part of its strategic plan to position itself as Nigeria’s leading humanitarian and disaster management intervention organization, is currently recruiting highly professional and mission-focused individuals to fill the key position below in the organization.
Successful candidates will be joining a visionary organization with an extensive network of local branches in every state and over 800,000 volunteers working closely with those in need of humanitarian assistance.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Health and Care Department
Job Code: AJ13 - 06
Abuja (National Headquarters), Nigeria
Responsible to: Secretary General
- The Head of Health & Care Department, under the direction of the Secretary General, coordinates all health activities of the National Society.
- Design, develop and implement the NS Strategic and Operational Health and Care Programme, contingency/EPR Health plans and budgets.
- Develop NS capacity at all levels on the management and implementation of health development plans, mitigation, preparedness, and response to health emergencies, natural disaster and epidemics.
- Map out and run strategies for development of emergency health and epidemic control (EHEC) capacities and tools for the National Society.
- Lead the response to health emergencies. Natural disasters, epidemics and community based Health programmes in Nigeria.
- Establish, strengthen and equip Mothers club units in all the branches in collaboration with relevant partners with focus on maternal (including safe delivery), New-born and Child Health (MNCH), HIV/AIDS and Nutrition.
- Facilitate the provision and rollout of EHEC tools to be prepositioned and distributed, as needed including watSan Kits, cholera kits, Safe Delivery kits, dignity kits, PPWs. In the branches and Division.
- Establish, train and equip Health Action Teams (HAT) in the Branches, with focus on community First Aid (CFA), PSS and Clinical management of highly contagious diseases.
- Provide advice and coaching on Health programmes, including development and adaptation of early warning systems in collaboration with partners.
- Enforce and disseminate international emergency response standards and code of conduct (SPHERE, etc.) in collaboration with relevant Department.
- Document and prepare specify activity reports; monthly, quarterly, annual report; and case studies.
- Document and disseminate best practices engaged in and lessons learnt on NS health development, emergency health, epidemic preparedness and response programmes.
- Establish strong collaboration and cooperation with the Movement partners, PNSs, Government and other partners on Health programme and EPR at international, National, State, LGA and Community levels.
- Develop and strengthen robust health programmes at Headquarters, Zones, Branches and Divisions in collaboration with relevant departments.
- Prepare and develop monthly, quarterly, annual and key intervention reports and share with relevant partners and stakeholders
- Coordinate Monthly Health programme meeting with programme meetings with programme officers to evaluate performance and ensure compliance to code of conduct.
- Ensure that Branches meet minimum standard in Health programming and EPR, reporting and implementation of programme activities.
- Undertake regular Assessment of skills of subordinates and develop and train them in order to improve performance.
- Ensure that monthly, quarterly six-monthly and yearly Health and Care reports are produced and submitted to the National Board and CCEC.
- Work with subordinates (Health and Care staff) to develop a set of six months performance objectives specific to each of the employee’s job description and whose performance will be evaluated against.
- Perform annual job performance reviews (APER) of staff of Health & Care department.
- Work towards the achievement of NRCS’ goals through effective managerial and necessary lateral relations and teamwork, to ensure alleviation of human suffering nationwide.
- Show capacity to assist other members of Management and Staff, aptitude for maintaining cooperation; and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society.
- Show initiative and creativity/innovation in implementation of specific task.
- Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Secretary General or the National Officers.
The duties enunciated above are intended to describe the duties of the appointee expected to undertake the position. It is not a complete and exhaustive list as alterations or deletion of duties may occur from time to time in accordance with the Nigerian Red Cross Society.
- Minimum University Degree in Medicine, Bio-chemistry, Chemistry or related fields
- Experience in the Red Cross Movement is a significant advantage
- Experience in Health activities
- Experience in supervising and Training of Teams
Skills and Experience:
- Pharmacy and medical equipment management
- Organization and team management
- Monitoring, analysis and Reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills in English. Fluency in other languages is an added advantage
- Valid medical licence to practice in Nigeria
- Excellent IT skills
Application Closing Date
- Minimum of 5 years work experience
23rd November, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a 1-page 4-year Vision Statement for the Nigerian Red Cross Society and CV as attachments to: email@example.com
using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- The CV must include the names and addresses of three (3) referees one of whom must be within the Directorate level.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted.