Plan international is an independent child-centered international development organization committed to advancing the rights of children and fight against poverty. Plan International has no religious, political and government affiliation. For over 78 years. we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education in Emergency Officer
Reports to: Field Coordinator with Technical line to Education and Livelihood Specialist
Duration: 6 Months
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the coordination of the pilot mobile Education in Emergency (EIE) project, document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International's emergency response.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Coordinate the implementation of mobile EiE project
- Support the EIE Specialist in designing the plan for the mobile units
- With support from Community Engagement Officer mobilize and sensitize community on the new project
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the pilot project
- With support from M&E team design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Support assessment of Education sector in North East
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education specific 3Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early childhood, gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, UN education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered and any departures documented.
- Provide regular updates to Education and Livelihoods Specialist, Humanitarian Program Manager, humanitarian unit and the rest of the CO on progress, priorities and constraints verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Team Leader.
- Support the implementation of, and represent Plan International in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- University degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience Education in Emergencies
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and establishedn international child protection standards (especially UNCRC)
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Experience in mobile EiE units desirable but not essential
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Travel extensively to lead and supervise programme activities
Level of Contact with Children:
Application Closing Date
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have frequeny contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
16th April, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: [email protected]
- Indicate the Job title and location as subject of the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.