Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa's financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Company Secretary/Legal - SIPML
Job ID: 22860
: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Information Technology and Services
- Company Secretary/Legal oversees the Company’s Legal Unit and is responsible for providing legal opinions and advice in Pension Administration, Investment, Asset Management and Finance transactions.
- The continuum of advice he offers on the various activities undertaken by the Company, is crucial to the smooth execution of the specialized and intricate transactions handled by the Stanbic IBTC Pension.
Oversight of Good Corporate Governance Practice:
- Organizing, preparing agendas for, and taking minutes of Board Meetings and Annual General Meetings (AGMs);
- Maintaining statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries;
- Dealing with correspondence, collating information and writing reports, ensuring decisions made are communicated to the relevant company stakeholders;
- Contributing to meeting discussions, as and when required, and advising members of the legal, governance, accounting and tax implications of proposed policies;
- Support company board, committee and general meetings (and potentially Country and Divisional meetings) including preparation of agendas, papers, notices, drafting resolutions, committee terms of reference, minutes and maintaining actions logs, registers of mortgages and charges, maintenance of Blueprint and UBS' Legal Structure Data Base (LSDB) records
Ensuring Compliance with Legal and Other Regulatory Requirements:
- Monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment, and taking appropriate action;
- Liaising with external regulators and advisers, such as lawyers and auditors;
- Taking responsibility for the health and safety of employees and managing property issues;
- Developing and overseeing the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes, as well as its legal and statutory requirements
- Managing office space and legal issues relating to property;
- Overseeing public relations issues.
Provision of Adequate Corporate Secretarial and Legal Advisory Services:
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment
Internal & External Relationships:
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Internal Relationships - Executive Committee of SIPML, Board Committee etc, Management commitee : ensure good corporate governance with regulations, circulars and guidelines issued by the National Pension Commission (PenCom) and other relevant Regulators and with the Company’s Internal policies
- External Relationships - PENCOM and other industry engagements, Board Evaluators
- First Degree in Law
- Masters & certifications in Organisational Governance and related fields
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) qualification or relevant legal qualification
- At least 10 years post qualification experience in Legal Services, Compliance, Risk Mgmt, & Business Support
Application Closing Date
- Financial Industry Regulatory Framework - Seasoned insight into and understanding of the various laws and regulations regulating the financial services industry.
- Legal Administration - Advanced understanding of the laws and legal principles governing the administration and contractual obligations of the organisation.
- Legal Advisory and Interpretation - Ability to advise on the development of policies and strategies on legislative matters through legislative analysis and interpretation.
- Corporate Legal Services Management - Applies knowledge and understanding the role and functions of corporate legal services within the context of the local legislative and industry regulatory framework.
- Legal Records and Related Systems - Efficient and systematic control of the creation, receipt, maintenance, use and disposal of legal records, in order to support the organisation operations.Legal Records and Related Systems
- Contract Management - The ability to manage contractual obligations in order to deliver the objectives required in the contract.
25th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online