African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Operations Assistant
Position N°: 50001492
The Hiring Department
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central.
- Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The country offices were created to strengthen the strategic dialogue between the Bank, governments and other stakeholders; it also seeks to strengthen the operational functions of the Bank Group, including the energy sector, by supporting project/programme identification, start-up and monitoring with a view to enhancing portfolio quality and to coordinate aid with other development partners in Africa.
The Operations Assistant is required to contribute to the following office objectives:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fulfilment of office key performance indicators;
- Portfolio quality planned targets;
- Ready accessible office portfolio and pipeline information database;
- Operational portfolio management tools; and
- Office portfolio consistent reporting mechanism.
- Under the supervision of the Country Manager and the Country Program Officer, the Operations Assistant will assist the process of origination, processing, general management, data analysis and monitoring of the Bank Group’s portfolio in Mozambique as defined in the office functions and responsibilities.
- Contribute by providing inputs and analysing data in the Bank’s internal systems (SAP, BPPS, corporate dashboard), on the status of the processing schedule of pipeline of projects as well as develop monitoring systems to the management of the portfolio;
- Develop and maintain databases of ongoing project information as well as indicative lending program for the next two years in terms of disbursement, project status, project issues and to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports concerning monitoring and enforcement implementation of the ongoing portfolio as well as the processing of the indicative lending for the year;
- Support the CPO in dialogue with government on portfolio related issues by preparing and presenting relevant analyses ;
- Regular reporting on the impact of operations in terms of development results, relying in particular on indicators from the logical framework matrices of operations and finding out the progress of the results of operations of the portfolio compared to the five priorities of the Bank ("High Fives"); and
- At the request of CM, prepare briefings on the country portfolio (both ongoing as well as pipeline).
Portfolio & Pipeline Management:
- Develop or improve the ongoing portfolio monitoring tool of Bank’s projects within the country both private and public sector projects and all grants with detailed updated information on closing dates, project status as per the portfolio dashboard and all other relevant information on each operation;
- Keep track of the developing country lending pipeline, working with Task Managers to monitor state of readiness and adherence to preparation and processing schedule.
- Support the supervision of Bank’s portfolio by liaising with the relevant Government entities in terms of program for supervision missions, follow up of recommendations and archiving of all Aide Memoirs;
- Maintain status of each project in terms of status of audit reports and recommendations as well as status of special accounts;
- Support Task Managers in data entry requirements in SAP across the project management cycle.
- Provide assistance as necessary to the Project Implementation Units (PIU), in the preparation of short-term interventions’ framework and improve the quality of implementation tools (work plans, procurement and disbursement plans);
- Pre-analyse the appropriateness of borrowers’ request for disbursements, biding documents and the supporting documentation and liaise with relevant sector specialist (procurement and FM staff at COMZ or regional hub in Pretoria);
- Follow up on status of audit reports (submission as well as review of audit report and follow-up actions) and replenishment of special accounts (status);
- Supports the identification and inputs into the training needs of Executing Agencies;
- Provide support for the annual Country Portfolio Performance Review including follow-up with EAs on submission of responses on the portfolio questionnaire;
- Follow-up of the recommendations from supervision missions as well as the annual Country Portfolio Improvement Plan; and
- Act as secretariat to the monthly portfolio meetings, quarterly monitoring exercises and quarterly portfolio meetings with government.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Bachelor's Degree in Economics, Development Studies, Management, Accounting Engineering or related field
- Have a minimum of six (6) years relevant practical data management and portfolio management experience, and proven track record and analytical skills in the following areas: data analysis, project management, procurement, contract administration, project identification and project planning,
- Some prior exposure to projects management cycle or/and portfolio management.
- Experience in implementing projects with public sector institutions and/or bi-lateral and multilateral development financing institutions would be an advantage.
- Strong team spirit and proven ability to cooperate across a diverse team, based in different geographical locations. Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Familiarity with project management and portfolio monitoring in development institutions, with multilateral development banks and in particular of the African Development Bank, an added advantage
- Strong networking skills and an ability to coordinate diverse shareholders and interests.
- Focus on results and problem solving, good time management, communication and knowledge sharing, innovation and change.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and in Portuguese
- Good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel Familiarity with data management software. Good working knowledge of computer software (Word, and PowerPoint), information systems.
- Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
25th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.