Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihoods Supervisor
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Under the direct supervision of the Food Security and Livelihood Deputy Project Manager (DPM)), the Livelihoods Supervisor is responsible for the daily implementation of the Livelihood component of the Food Security and Livelihoods Program activitiesin Bolori II, Maiduguri, Borno State.
- The Livelihoods supervisor will supervise the organization, implementation and monitoring of livelihoods activities (Income generating activities, IGAs) within her/his geographical assignment on daily basis.
Implementation and Monitoring of the Livelihoods Activities:
- Lead the implementation of livelihood activities according to the FSL program direction and ensure program quality standards are manintaiend at field level.
- Organize and supervise all FSL assessment activities pertaining to the project deliverables such as post distribution monitoring, need and market assessments, IGAs and impact evaluations.
- Follow up and support her/his team in the identification and registration of beneficiaries, and supplier/vendors.
- Organize, follow up and support capacity building trainings and experience sharing visits for livelihoods beneficiaries engaged in IGAs where applicable.
- Support and follow up the business acivities of livelihoods beneficiaries, and ensure documentation of best practices.
- Follow up and support the collection of any relevant information from the communities and partners.
- Follow up and support his/her team during E-voucher card distribution, disbursement and cash grant transfers.
- Contribute in analyzing humanitarian situation in the field and ensure his/her team are familiar with “Do No Harm“ principle.
- Follow up and support to determine protection issues in the field and liaise to his/her Line Manager.
- Follow the guidelines, methodology & protocols & train the officers on them.
- Provides supervision to his/her team and allocate staff under his/her supervision to Bulama’s area with manageable case-load allocation.
- Ensure that the Livelihoods Officers have proper workplan (daily and weekly) and tools in place to execute their regular assignment.
- Organize regular meetings with his/her team and ensure they have necessary support.
- Identify the technical and administrative needs of the team under his/her supervision.
- Build the technical capacity of the team under his/her supervison through regular on-job mentoring and feedbacks.
- Conduct performance appraisal of Livelihoods Officers under his/her direct line management.
- Invovles in the recruitment of Livelihoods Officers where applicable.
- Ensures that beneficiaries and local populations understand the Food Security and Livelihoods Program projects’ goals and agree with the implementation process.
- Actively participates to the good collaboration with local leaders and community representatives for smooth implementation of the program activities.
- Liaises with the local community representatives and authorities in order to identify the needs, grievances and major events that could have potential consequences for PUI activities.
- Ensures proper training and supervision of the community’s volunteers/daily workers who will take part in the project.
- Follows up and supports the sensitizations for the beneficiaries or community’s members according to the identified needs.
- Attends regular community meetings in the assigned area.
Communication and Reporting:
- Reports to the FSL DPM on the progress of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries.
- Submits daily and weekly situational report to line manager on daily and weekly basis.
- Prepares weekly task for his/her team and submit to his/her line manager for validation.
- Collects, enters and analyzes his/her team necessary food security data according to the need of the program.
- Extracts and passes on compiled statistics on livelihoods activities (beneficiary, cards, assessments, monitoring, etc) to his/her line manager.
- Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the PUI office, ensuring their availability to his/her supervisor and PM.
- Develops the first draft of success stories/ best practices documentation in line with livelihoods activities.
- Report any information, problems, issues to his/her direct and or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, PUI programs and security matters.
Logistic & Administration:
Specific Objective and Linked Activities
- Ensure organizational policies, standard operation procedures, security rules and procedures are maintained by the team under his/her supervision.
- Under the responsibility of the FSL DPM, take part in logistical and administrative organization, planning, and preparation of the field team.
- Ensures the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools during on-site works by her/his team.
- Supports and manages the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with Logistic Department.
- Collects security information, and perform as Protection and Security Focal Person within his/her team.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are not exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project needs. The employee could be requested to perform other tasks as his/her Line Manager may deemed necessary.
- In coordination with the team members and other PUI program sectors, the Livelihoods Supervisor oversees and manages the implementation of the livelihoods component activity of the program–ensures that technical quality and standards are considered and respected during project(s) implementation.
- The Livelihoods Supervisor ensures effective and timely completion of activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries.
- The Livelihoodswill ensure that no duplication of intervention in PUI respective areas and to maintain good working collaboration with other humanitarian actor at the field level.
- Contribute on the assessment processes, gathered essential information in the community to support the department in developing new project and strategy.
The successful candidate should have:
- Fluent in English, and Local Dialects: Hausa and Kanuri
- Bachelor Degree in Livelihoods Development, Entrepreneur, Marketing, Business Development, Business Administration/Management, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development, Agricultural Extension, Agric-business Management, Food Security, Cooperative Management or related fields. Previous experience with INGO/NGO is required.
- At least 3 years' or more experience in a similar position in an INGO’s preferably related to food security, livelihoods or emergency response, recovery and resilience building, and cash transfer program.
- Previous experience in humanitarian assessment, monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
Knowledge and skills:
- Food Security and Livelihoods programming
- Cash Programming
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Baseline surveys & Assessment
- Business management/ development or IGAs.
- SPHERE standards
- Proficient user of MS office (world and excel) and data collection tools (kobo, ODK, GPS, GIS etc.)
Application Closing Date
- Excellent Field work skills
- Commitment to the INGO values and principles
- Excellent knowledge of Borno State, willing to travel locally
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvement
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Stress Management and flexibility
- Strong Negotiator, Diplomatic and with problem solving skills
- Capacity to mobilize community
- Rigor and organization
20th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online