Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Capacity Officer
Ref Id: 200005L6
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract length: July 2022
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Child Safeguarding: Level 3
- The responsibilities of the post does not require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people, but would be responsible to ensure employee and other representatives adhere to child safeguarding policy.
- The Community Capacity Officer will be one of two (or more) Program Officers-Social Mobilization on the state team responsible for planning, implementing, and assisting with monitoring the community mobilization and community health activities in the state.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: State Coordinator
- Staff directly reporting to this post: NA
- The technical support will be required in the area of community capacity building and community mobilization.
- The position will be responsible for collecting & documenting relevant case studies; and processing documents to disseminate the project’s results and successes, contributing to monthly and quarterly reports.
- S/he is expected to work in close coordination and maintain good working relationships with the state BA-N team and the State MOH, NGO partners, government line agencies, and other stakeholders in the state for the smooth operation of project activities.
- Provide state leadership and technical oversight to BA-N community capacity strengthening component for community structures (WDCs) and agents on MNCH+N community mobilization and community action cycle (CAC)
- Provide technical support and capacity building to community volunteers (CVs) State MDAs (SPHCDA), LGA health teams, Ward development committees (WDCs) to promote the uptake of MNCH+N behaviors
Key Areas of Accountability
- Work with other Community Mobilization team members, SPHCDA and State MoH to ensures successful implementation of BA-N community capacity strengthening and engagement plans
- Strategizes practical ways and approaches to mobilize WDCs, VDCs, community influencers and opinion leaders towards collective community action to address MNCH+N issues
- Outlines recommendations for key issues that arise during the project implementation
- Work with other local government units, community-based groups and NGOs.
- Other tasks and responsibilities needed in the completion of the primary role.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Updates implementation plans assigned on a periodic basis
- Submits updates on the prescribed project indicators to his/her Line Manager
- Prepare draft reports on the status of the implementation as well as on other related activities
- Contribute to organizational learning and enhanced capacity in planned intervention and activities.
- Collect learning and analysis on the impact of the work in the communities as opportunities for arises
- Support partnering efforts and opportunities with the Local Government Units, other government line agencies and structures, NGOs, and other stakeholders through consultation, information sharing.
- Support to all other activities such as resource mobilization, project conceptualization, and other provide related strategic endeavors as required of the project.
Requirements, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferable) in Public Health, Social Science or related field with three years extensive experiences in community mobilization in the areas of MNCH
- Experience and familiarity with participatory approaches and tools for trainings and program implementation at community level
- Commitment to working with marginalized and disadvantaged group of people, remote areas
- Experience in communications and health governance and social accountability
- Knowledge of the community health system of government
- Fluent spoken and written English and local language
- Proven experience delivering training and capacity building in behavior change communication in MNCH and health governance
- Excellent report writing and data analysis skills
- Computer skills on MS Word, Excel, Power Point
- Effective communication skills, both in written and verbal forms in order to establish effective relationships with a wide range of audiences, including at a geographical distance
- Ability to think and act fast
- High flexibility
- Strong sense of urgency and work ethic.
- Can tolerate working under ambiguous circumstances and sometimes difficult situations
- Understands and believes in Save the Children’s mission and vision; commits to its objectives and willing to adopt Save the Children’s methodology and framework
- Women are encouraged to apply.
Skills and Behaviours (our values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
5th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should immediately be reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.