Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: CARM Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno,
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Duration: 3 months
Program / Department Summary
- As an organization, Mercy Corps is committed to accountability to all of our stakeholders, including the people we serve, and to the resources that are entrusted to us. Mercy Corps takes a participatory approach in engaging with local communities throughout the program design and implementation.
- A Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) is an essential part of Mercy Corps' commitment to excellence and integrity, by providing individuals, organizations, local groups, and other stakeholders a means of raising concerns about potential staff misconduct or sharing feedback or programmatic activities (positive and negative) with Mercy Corps, independently from program operations. In the context of Nigeria, rolling out and implementing CARM will ensure that the Nigeria team will continue to uphold Mercy Corps' high standards of accountability.
General Position Summary
- Under the umbrella of the Performance and Quality (PaQ) Unit, the CARM Officer will support CARM implementation primarily within the NE portfolio, dividing his/her time between the continued establishment, maintenance, management, and adaptation of CARM implementation in existing programs and the rollout of CARM into additional programs.
- While working with the program teams and MEL teams s/he would manage and support the adaptation of CARM work plans, focusing on CARM rollout and maintenance.
- The priorities will include supporting program-specific and country-level standard operating procedures (SOPs), defined processes and mechanisms, production of bimonthly analysis reports and program-level reports on CARM, and the production and development of training plans and awareness materials for staff from both programs and departments on administering Mercy Corps accountability framework in communities.
- This includes Mercy Corps' own expectations of their staff and program activities. S/he will deal with day-to-day feedback that includes handling of complaints, questions, reports and requests for support as received from beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries in the communities MC works directly.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Implementation & Program Quality:
- Support the implementation and adaptation of the Nigeria CARM strategy/operational manual;
- Provide strong support to CARM channels covering NE Nigeria programs including phone line, WhatsApp business and email which document and receive community feedback;
- Support the creation and circulation of a bi-monthly CARM report for relevant stakeholders, that presents CARM findings, successes, trends and tweaks to implementation processes, and adaptation as a result of feedback received;
- Support in the preparation of a weekly and/or as necessary status update on CARM for the Grants Manager/PaQ Director;
- Support in the development of work plans at the programmatic and NE portfolio levels for the roll-out of CARM;
- Help to develop feedback and data-flow mapping;
- Together with MEL colleagues, support in the development of a system for analyzing trends in feedback received;
- Produce internal reports on CARM itself, in response to feedback received via training and awareness session evaluation forms;
- Support the communications team and/or local partners in designing and disseminating appropriate communication materials that promote the use of feedback mechanisms or transparency (hotline business cards, distribution signs, community signs and banners, etc.);
- Conduct field visits, engage CARM spot checks, trainings;
- Liaise with Sub-Award and Compliance unit to support programs in encouraging community participation in needs assessments and project design;
- Support in the maintenance and organization of CARM database, in coordination with the PaQ team.
- Support with orientation sessions for staff and field partners/CBOs and other CARM stakeholders;
- Training of staff on receiving complaints and feedback and on community sensitization, particularly on informing communities and handling feedback on sensitive subjects of potential staff misconduct.
- Collaborate with other actors to develop referral maps and mechanisms for communities where MC implements programs.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisor: MC Nigeria PaQ Unit - Grants and Reporting Manager
- Works directly with: PaQ team members including MEL and Communications Teams, Ethics and Assurances Manager, Safeguarding Focal Point, CARM programmatic focal points, and all project/program teams, including Mercy Corps beneficiaries.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in relevant field. Proven (at least intermediate) report writing skills are required;
- 2-4 years of related work experience, preferably with an international or local Non- Governmental Organization (NGO);
- Excellent writing skills in English, languages such as Hausa a plus. The ability to write reports at a native English level;
- Proven experience in data collection, data-entry, data/information management and analysis;
- Proven experience in developing or contributing to accountability frameworks, standard operating procedures (SOPs) for feedback mechanisms;
- Experience and/or training in handling sensitive information - Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) training is an advantage, including Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Child Protection knowledge and capacities;
- The ability to work closely in a team, be patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and work in an environment that is often stressful and potentially volatile;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language challenges. Tact and diplomacy are essential;
- Understanding of preventing sexual exploitation and abuse, child safeguarding and how other types of code of conduct issues may arise in CARM mechanisms and best practices for raising awareness of and responding to those concerns.
- Critical problem solving skills and the ability to work out methods of delivery in very different operating contexts. S/he will be highly motivated, and capable to work without direct supervision. S/he will demonstrate attention to details, will be committed to working long hours, be able to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Application Closing Date
4th November, 2020
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document to: [email protected] using the "Job Title, Location and Reference" as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.