At Karis School, we believe in nurturing the innate leadership skills of our pupils and growing a sense of responsibility within them. We want them to have a chance to experience leadership, which builds their confidence and self-esteem.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: School Secretary
Location: Magodo GRA, Lagos
Employment Type: Full Time
- The school secretary serves as the face of the school, greeting students and parents and providing them with information. Secretaries schedule appointments, answer phones and give administrative support to teachers and school officials.
- They help maintain records on students. They are usually the first line of communication when parents call or visit a school. School secretaries order and inventory supplies, enter lunch information into the billing system and verify information in notes from doctors and parents.
- The secretary may attend meetings and record the proceedings. Depending on the position, they may have bookkeeping and payroll duties.
- Welcomes visitors to the school and provides directions around the building as needed.
- Types up and contributes to school bulletin or newsletter.
- Assists in designing and drawing up promotional and informational materials for parents.
- Provides students with tardy slips.
- Maintains records of student absences
- Sorts and distributes mail delivered to school office.
- Contacts parents in the event of student illness or behavioral issues.
- Maintains student records and files.
- Uses computer database or filing system to update records as necessary.
- Manages and updates school calendar.
- Provides administrative support to upper level management as needed.
- Takes dictation and transcribes documents.
- Attends office meetings and takes minutes.
- Meet with new students and parents to complete registration and orientation process
- Provide school-specific administrative support processes such as student services, locker assignments, activity forms
- Maintain disciplinary tracking systems and files in accordance with regulations
- Coordinate and monitor safety procedures for the purpose of ensuring safety of students and staff
Schedules and Calendars:
- Schedule and confirm appointments for staff members
- Maintain appointment and event calendars
- Coordinate meetings and events
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
Filing Systems and Database Management:
- Set up and maintain filing systems for students and staff - paper and electronic
- Create, maintain and enter information into databases
- Locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring a response
- Locate and provide data as requested
Student and Staff Attendance:
- Track student and staff attendance
- Verify parents' and doctors' notes and investigate any discrepancies in attendance information
- Notify parents of student absences
- Process and track staff leave requests
- Coordinate substitute personnel for absent staff members
- Keep accurate staff and student attendance records and submit reports as required.
School Processes and Procedures:
- Manage school processes and procedures to ensure compliance with school and District regulations
- Operate electronic mail systems and coordinate the flow of information internally and externally
- Prepare and distribute appropriate communications including newsletters, emails and announcements
- Prepare a variety of documents including correspondence, agendas, event programs, reports, schedules and calendars
- Compose, type and distribute minutes of meetings
Front Desk Duties:
- Serve as a central information point to the public, students and staff regarding school-related matters and procedures
- Answer incoming calls, provide information, direct calls where necessary and take messages
- Greet visitors, handle inquiries and direct visitors to the appropriate destination
- Read, sort and distribute incoming school mail
Equipment and Inventory:
- Operate office equipment including fax machines, copiers, scanners, printers
- Maintain office equipment in good working condition
- Track inventory and order supplies
- A minimum of a High School Diploma is typically required to be a school secretary.
- Formal requirements are less important than skills and personality, although preference may be given to candidates who have at least some college.
- A school secretary needs computer skills, excellent communications and interpersonal skills as well as an understanding of secretarial duties. It is necessary to be extremely organized to maintain schedules and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates ability to think creatively.
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing abilities.
- Possesses excellent telephone etiquette.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Is capable of handling confidential student records in a responsible fashion.
- Demonstrates familiarity with basic office equipment such as multi-line phones, fax machines, and scanners.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Bachelor's Degree is recommended.
- Previous work experience in an office setting is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintains professional and friendly demeanor.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills.
- Is capable of managing time efficiently.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task effectively.
- Works well with a variety of students, administrators, and parents.
- Exhibits ability to remain polite and calm when dealing with troublesome students or frustrated parents.
- Possesses basic computer skills and knowledge of word processing programs.
Education and Experience:
- Experience: 3 - 5 years
- Relevant training or qualification
- Working knowledge of relevant software applications including database management
- Knowledge of current office operations and procedures
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- Proven experience of producing communications and documents
- Knowledge of school policies and procedures
Competencies and Skills:
- Organizational and planning skills including the ability to maintain an effective balance between multiple and competing priorities
- Problem-solving skills
- Able to exercise sound judgment in making decisions
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Confidentiality, integrity and adherence to ethical standards
- Team member
- Diversity oriented - able to work effectively with people regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity or religion
- Energy and enthusiasm.
- Sex: Male between ages 25 to 35. OR a female between ages 35 and 45 (She must be a married woman).
- Must be a Christian attending a Bible living Church
- Working hours: 7am to 6pm.
- The majority of working hours will be spent in an office setting.
- Light physical activity such as walking and standing, is required on a daily basis.
- N100,000 to N120,000 / month.
Application Closing Date
22nd March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using "School Secretary" as the subject of the email.