ICAP is a global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Officer
Job No.: 495467
Location: Taraba, Nigeria
Work Type: Regular Full-Time
Reports to: Epidemic Control Advisor
Categories: Technical/Clinical/Quality Improvement/Training
Start Date: October 2021
- Working under the supervision of the Epidemic Control Advisor for the RISE project in Taraba State in Nigeria (with specific technical guidance and direction of the Senior Laboratory Advisor and the State Laboratory Advisor), the Laboratory Officer will oversee the laboratory component of the RISE project working closely with the State Ministries of Health, the State Program Implementation Unit (SPIU) and laboratory departments in supported facilities and ad hoc laboratory personnel in the state.
- The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing laboratory systems, strengthening laboratory activities as well as quality management support related to laboratory service. The incumbent will also support performance management and related capacity building for RISE at the State.
The Laboratory Officer will:
- Support the implementation of state level laboratory strategic objectives of the RISE project with specific emphasis on optimizing laboratory monitoring of PLHIVs through Viral Load eligibility monitoring, timely sample collection and management as well as availability, documentation and use of Viral Load Results.
- Support the laboratory system strengthening and management in assigned LGAs and facilities, working with designated focal persons in the Taraba State Program Implementation Team (SPIU), to communicate HIV Surge urgencies and evidence-based performance optimization strategies.
- Support the Laboratory technical leadership to facilitate the development, review and implementation of laboratory QA/QC programs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and manuals for all laboratory related aspects of the RISE project.
- Mentorand supervise performance and quality of Laboratory Services through laboratory optimizers (or champions), facility and community case management teams for achieving linkage to optimized ART, client education and retention, and management of virologically unsuppressed clients.
- Coordinate assigned facility and community resources and personnel to ensure performance management of Viral Load targets; including structured, sustainable capacity building and the application of Quality Improvement methodologies to progressively optimize Viral Load systems on the RISE project.
- Participate in the recruitment process, training and supervision of ad hoc laboratory personnel when required.
- Facilitate accurate laboratory specimen data reporting, routine laboratory data analysis and interpretation of laboratory results from the RISE project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline laboratory procedures and systems.
- Work closely with NiSRN Logistic Officers, 3PLs and health facilities to ensure that client samples for HIV VL, EID, CD4 and TB (from community and facility service delivery points) are correctly collected, processed, and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner.
- Provide technical assistance for Laboratorians in RISE supported facilities to ensure maintenance and efficient use of instrumentation for Flow cytometry for CD4 phenotyping and Gene Xpert for MTB/RIF diagnosis.
- Support supply, management and reporting for laboratory consumables, reagents, and RTKs to prevent stock outs and eliminate wastages.
- Facilitate technical assistance for recency testing and HIV rapid testing continuous quality improvement program at supported HTS points, diagnosis of opportunistic infection and monitoring, and HIV viral load services.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems through the implementation of ISO 15189 requirements and the SLMTA/SLIPTA accreditation processes.
- Review and provide regular updates on implementation of strategies for Laboratory Services to SO and CO Teams including laboratory specific reports, weekly and monthly presentations to State teams; contributions to monthly and quarterly State and Program reports as well as other updates based on request.
- Work closely with the State Epidemic Control Advisor and the State Laboratory Advisor to develop project work plans, monitor progress towards program objectives and timelines, including regular reporting to and communication with RISE leadership, USAID, and ICAP in New York.
- Work closely with the State Ministry of Health, SPIU team and other relevant Stakeholders to strengthen the State’s capacity for effective and efficient Laboratory Systems for patient diagnostics and monitoring; equipment maintenance; laboratory reference guides and standard operating procedures as well as infection prevention and control.
- Document project training and technical assistance activities and contribute to the production and dissemination of technical reports, guides, manuals, success stories, and other printed resources and toolkits.
- Stay up-to-date and serve as a repository on new information and knowledge in ART clinical management and programming.
- Routinely attend and provide appropriate technical leadership in program meetings, executing resolutions within her/his purview as appropriate.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be assigned by the State Epidemic Control Advisor or State Laboratory Advisor.
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or its equivalent.
Experience, Skills & Minimum Required Qualifications:
- At least three (3) years’ experience in laboratory systems optimization and service delivery management within the context of PEPFAR HIV programs.
- Experience in PEPFAR laboratory commodity procurement procedures and equipment as well as stock tracking and inventory management required.
- Experience with lab-related data management systems including but not limited to Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) preferred.
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English and oversee development of comprehensive program reports
- Travel within Taraba state in Nigeria conducting site visitswith occasional travel outside of assigned state.
Application Closing Date
7th September, 2021; W. Central Africa Standard Time.