Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (MPN) is a subsidiary of Exxon Mobil Corporation with a long and established history of operations in Nigeria. The company’s oil & gas production activities constitute one of the largest sources of revenue for the Nigerian government.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Litigation Attorney
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Role Summary
- Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (“MPN”), an ExxonMobil affiliate incorporated in Nigeria, is one of the largest crude oil and natural gas producers in Nigeria. MPN is looking for an Attorney with strong litigation experience to manage a varied docket of commercial, environmental, land and tort matters.
- The Attorney will handle a variety of matters and will work independently with supervision that is appropriate for the attorney’s level of experience.
Job Role Responsibilities
- Actively manage a wide docket of commercial, environmental, land and tort matters, including responsibility for case strategy, legal analysis, witness preparation, depositions, judicial proceedings (hearings, trials, appeals, etc.).
- Provide legal counsel and support as needed on various risk management issues.
- Coordinate and interface with outside counsel to ensure proper handling of matters where outside counsel is retained.
- Handle a significant case load (volume and complexity).
- Review documents and pleadings as relevant and necessary associated with the above matters.
- Communicate with and advise business clients and law management regarding case status and key milestones.
- Work and coordinate with, and provide and seek advice from, other lawyers.
Expected Level of Proficiency
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and – minimum of Second Class Honours (Upper Division).
- Barrister at Law (B.L) from the Nigerian Law School and licensed to practice in Nigeria.
- Strong academic record, a Master’s Degree in Law will be an added advantage.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Highest ethical standards and integrity.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment and work both independently and as part of an integrated legal team.
- At least Ten (10) years of post-call legal experience, all (or substantially all) of which is in litigation.
- Preference for energy industry experience.
- Experience in handling and managing significant and complex litigation matters.
- Knowledge of Civil Procedure and Rules of Evidence.
- Ability to travel domestically, as needed.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidates will be made a conditional offer of employment. The conditions include, but are not limited to:
- A satisfactory criminal records disclosure;
- Satisfactory employment references over five years (where applicable);
- Verification of qualifications, including any professional accreditation stated in the application;
- Completion of a pre-employment medical, including a test for illicit or unprescribed drugs in accordance with the Company's safety policies;
- And the legal right to work on the agreed commencement date.
Application Closing Date