The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender and Inclusion Officer
Position Number: 21:259
Location: Nigeria, Abuja
Division: Program Management
Status: Local National Employee
Primary Function / Purpose
- Under the supervision of the IFES Nigeria Deputy Country Director/Head of Programs, the Gender and Inclusion Officer will design support IFES Nigeria’s operations in planning and implementing program activities with regard to gender equity and inclusion of persons with disabilities, youth and marginalized groups in electoral and political processes.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Design and conduct assessments of national legal framework as well as internal policies, practices and initiatives of national election management bodies (EMBs) to assess their impact on the participation of men and women, persons with disabilities, and youth in electoral processes;
- Assist INEC and targeted SIECs in the design and implementation of policies and procedures that increase the participation of women, persons with disabilities and youth in elections and within the commissions;
- Advise and work closely with the INEC Gender and Inclusivity Department to provide technical support for reforms, initiatives and programs undertaken by the Commission;
- Advise and support the planning and implementation of capacity development activities for INEC staff in headquarters and state offices, with regard to gender equity and inclusion;
- Advise INEC on international best practices to reflect gender equity and inclusion principles and practices pertaining to electoral management;
- Provide advice and support to INEC’s civic and voter education strategies to increase participation of women, persons with disabilities, youth and marginalized groups.
- Support the IFES program team with designing and implementing program activities aimed at enhancing INEC’s capacity to implement gender-sensitive and inclusive policies and practices
- Provide input into monitoring and evaluation plans and assist with monitoring to ensure that the program impacts are accurately and adequately measured, especially with regards to activities’ impacts on men, women, persons with disabilities, youth and/or other marginalized groups.
- Work with INEC Civil Society Division on engaging youth and CSOs to better understand, participate in and contribute to credible elections;
- Contribute to the development of program reporting on gender, inclusion and related areas of programming.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, Human Rights, Gender Studies or a related field
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in gender and inclusion programming, with a background in human rights and a rights-based approach to development.
- Demonstrated experience working on projects promoting the participation of women, persons with disabilities, youth and/or marginalized groups in governance and elections in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with USAID and other donor gender policies
- Highest consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate strong and proven track record with democracy and governance work.
- Social media and multimedia skills.
- The ability to remain organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English, including the ability to draft material in a variety of styles, for different audiences and within tight deadlines (established track record of writing and/or editing materials for publication).
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a collaborative and cooperative environment.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Language Skills: Proficiency in English language required.
- Travel: Travel may be required.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Application Closing Date