The Oleaster is a Behavioral Health Center that provides a holistic treatment approach needed to fight addiction and other mental health issues. Our Client-first philosophy, licensed and empathetic staff allow us to meet you wherever you are in your recovery journey.
We work closely with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your individual needs. Our integrative approach combines today’s most effective treatment strategies with long-standing, evidenced-based techniques to help you achieve lasting recovery. The Oleaster is located in the heart of Abuja, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychiatric Nurse
Locations: Abuja and Anambra
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Medical Director
- The Psychiatric Nurse will work as part of a team of medical professionals to provide psychiatric nursing care to patients of all ages, gender, religion and disposition, while creating a safe and therapeutic environment to aid their mental stability.
- Responsible for overseeing the delivery of care to all patients delegating duties and monitoring junior staff carrying these out.
- Assess all identified group of patients and new admissions to the Practice.
- To ensure that identified care planning is implemented and evaluated for all patients especially those within their identified groups.
- To ensure that care given is individualized, patient centered and in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team and other statutory and voluntary organizations as appropriate.
- To orientate newly admitted patient on the principles, rules and regulations governing the unit at the point of admission and ensure that these rules are strictly adhered to by the patients.
- To ensure that all the policies and admission documents are signed by the patient and their relations where applicable.
- The Nurse will be involved in performing patient personal care duties, which would include washing, bathing and dressing using appropriate hoists and aids. Often uses equipment and clinical procedures requiring knowledge e.g. subcutaneous infusions, catheter care, wound care, pressure relieving equipment.
- The Nurse will be able to conduct and interpret a Urine Drug Test for patients and clients and document the results appropriately.
- Ensure that a Urine Drug Test is conducted for all patient on board at any point if there is a suspected case of smuggling of substance into the facility.
- The Nurse would spend extensive parts of the shift in direct/indirect (overseeing and monitoring) patient care.
- Also dedicate time during the shift writing clinical reports, and updating care plans. Also the Nurse will be expected to undertake supervision/performance appraisal of junior staff, as directed by the Head of Clinical Services.
- To engage in pickup of new or old clients as required.
- Observe assigned patients on a daily basis to identify, interpret, and document physical and emotional status and/or patterns, such as assaultive or suicidal behaviour, and response to treatment or medication:
- Inspect patient rooms every morning.
- Check to ensure that the number of patients at handover tallies with the number at takeover given allowance for discharged cases in the course of the day.
- Inspect rooms to ensure air conditioner and lights are switched off when patients are not in room.
- Ensure vital signs are taken 2 times a day.
- Work with the support workers to see to the personal hygiene of patients in the morning.
- Ensure the dining area is kept clean when not in use, ensure support worker/cook take the dishes to the kitchen immediately after every meal
- Administer psychotropic medications to patients, monitors use, and documents reactions; educate patients on the purpose, dosage, and side effects of medication, and explain the implications of patient's refusal to take prescribed medication.
- Provide crisis intervention to those individuals experiencing acute episodes.
- Obtain medical, psychiatric, social, and family histories of new admissions; take and record vital signs; obtain lab specimens and assist physicians with physical exams.
- Schedules and arranges for special tests; develops discharge plans; maintains charts and logs; performs catheterizations and enemas; and draws blood.
- Aid patients in obtaining proper medical care, after release or during hospitalization, by identifying community agencies and resources to assist patients with stabilization while living in the community.
- Interact with private medical facilities, courts, and Federal and State agencies to express concerns of the patient and to discuss treatment also when required, testify in court as to the patient's mental and physical condition.
- When needed, acts as a team leader, on a rotational basis, for an assigned shift; plan, assign, and review the work of other regular nursing staff, student nurses, mental health technicians and support staff.
- To be able to deliver services and treatment in patient’s own environment whenever the need arises.
- Ensure protected meal time is properly implemented.
- Inspect patient food before taking it to patients for consumption.
- Make Clinical presentations during clinical meetings and during business meetings.
- Ensure take home medications are well dispensed for patient going on weekend leave.
Requirements and Experience
- Must be a Registered Psychiatric Nurse.
- Must be medically and physically fit.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ work experience as a psychiatric nurse
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Explain mental health laws and regulations;
- Observe emotional and physical behaviour.
- Evaluate and assess the need for mental health services.
- Analyse a situation and adopt a course of action.
- Prepare and maintain medical records and reports.
- Recognize and respect limits of confidential information.
- Direct and advise other nursing staff.
- Communicate with people of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic origins.
- Speak before groups.
- Exercise independent judgment in medical emergencies.
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy, patience, and compassion.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers, other agencies, and organizations.
- Comply with nursing policies, protocols, and program regulations.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.