Code for Africa is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR Assistant
Employment Type: Full Time
About the Role
- Do you want to change lives - both within an organisation and in the world? We are recruiting for a full-time HR assistant to join our Secretariat team.
- The position is based at one of our hubs in Kenya, Nigeria or Senegal. We’re also open to exceptional applicants from elsewhere in Africa.
- Candidates must have demonstrable experience working in an HR role.
- CfA is a 10-year old pan-African network of digital democracy and journalism technology labs, registered as a public benefit non-profit organisation that has full-time staff in 22 African and European countries. The headquarters are in South Africa, with subsidiary non-profits in Kenya and Nigeria.
- The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team that works across a variety of programmes and projects.
- The successful candidates will join CfA’s core Secretariat team. The Secretariat team supports the entire organisation and all of its programmes, overseeing operations and governance, as well as handling all financial and HR matters.
- Your role will include providing the Human Resources Manager with administrative support for processes such as recruitment, onboarding, performance management, and maintaining proper employee records.
- As part of a multinational team within a growing organisation, you must be agile and must thrive in a multicultural environment, and must work easily with people from different backgrounds who may speak different languages.
- You will be a digital native, who instinctively takes initiative, and is happy to juggle several tasks at a time while still being able to prioritise your own work.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- HR Administration:
- Preparing employee-related documentation as guided by the HR Manager.
- Actioning requests for ad hoc documentation from employees.
- Supporting the finance team in the creation and appropriate filing of CfA fellows’ documentation.
- Keeping all employee-related trackers updated in a timely and accurate manner.
- Slack workspace maintenance (such as adding new staff to Slack and ensuring departing staff are offboarded)
- Recruitment and Onboarding:
- Posting job ads, scheduling interviews, and providing assistance/support to hiring managers during the interview process.
- Undertaking background and reference checks for finalist candidates.
- Supporting the pre-boarding process as guided by the HR manager.
- Facilitating work tools allocation to new joiners by liaising with the operations & finance team.
- Ensuring that new joiners’ information is appropriately posted to the necessary database.
- Performance Management:
- Scheduling employee performance review meetings as advised by the Human Resources Manager.
- Creation and appropriate filing of performance management-related documents.
- Exit Management:
- Guiding exiting employees through the handover documentation process.
- Liaising with the operations team to ensure retrieval of worktools.
- Ensuring exiting employees’ timesheets are appropriately filled out.
- Offboarding exited employees from internal databases.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management or equivalent qualification
- 2 - 3 years of experience in a similar role
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Superb organisational skills and detail orientated.
- Experience in or familiarity with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, and Trello.
Candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- Experience working in the technology, non-profit and/or media environments will be advantageous.
- Experience working with a multinational & fully remote organisation.
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, or anywhere else in Africa
- Languages: English.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a multinational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
Application Closing Date
30th July, 2022.