United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Project Officer - IT Analyst
Additional Category HIV, Health and Development
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level: SB-4
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-May-2016
Duration of Initial Contract : One year, renewable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC) Country office in Abuja Nigeria (CONIG).
- Under the guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Head of Programme / Programme Management Officer, the IT Analyst manages ICT services for the three EU-funded projects, develops and implements ICT management systems, and provides information management tools and technology infrastructure.
- The IT Analyst is responsible for review of and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the projects’ IT support to the beneficiary agencies.
- The IT Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach.
- S/he works in close collaboration with the Programme Support Unit, the different Project Coordinators and project teams, and beneficiary agencies to make sure that their IT priorities are adequately supported by the three projects.
- The IT Analyst also liaises closely with UNODC HQs ITS, in resolving complex ICT-related issues and in monitoring IT components of the three projects under implementation by ITS.
- S/he will also support all IT needs of UNODC Office in Nigeria.
Ensures implementation of ICT strategies and introduction and implementation of new technologies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CONIG / projects technology environment;
- Analysis of the requirement and elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT;
- CONIG ICT business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in ICT management, control of the workflows in the ICT team;
- Participation in the office business process re-engineering activities and ensure that business needs drive IT solutions related to corporate resource management;
- Conduct of market research and analysis, and introduction of new technology for country office system updating and improvement.
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new ICT equipment for CONIG and its projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets;
- Development and update of the ICT annual plan and road map;
- Development and update of the IT business continuity plan, disaster recovery plan, ICT infrastructure and training plans;
- Follow up on their implementation;
- Leadership of the ICT work for effective and client-oriented services.
Assist in the planning of major ICT Infrastructure Projects, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- This will include Data Centre facilities, telecommunications, and Enterprise Operations matters of significant importance with other IT experts in UNODC HQ;
- Participates in the planning and preparation of the budgets and work plans of IT components of the three projects;
- Develop cost proposals and procurement plans for implementation, maintenance and support.
Conduct site technical assessments and evaluations for projects delivery, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Conducts feasibility assessments, developing and recommending strategies to address ICT infrastructure needs of beneficiary agencies, and preparing plans for design, development and implementation, including project plans, schedules, as well as time and cost estimates;
- Develop technical specifications/cost proposals for procurement/contractual services;
- Oversees the technical evaluation of bids and proposal received, and monitor the procurement process;
- Testing and evaluation of new products and technologies and recommending technological changes.
Ensures efficient networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of the computing resources to provide a stable and responsive environment;
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes establishing directories, menus and drive-mappings, configuring network printers and providing user access;
- Monitoring of backup and restoration procedures for both server and local drives;
- Timely upgrade of LAN infrastructure and Internet connectivity to meet UNDP requirements;
- Provision of technical advice on network administration to other agencies as required and monitoring preparation of bills for cost-recovery for the services provided.
- Ensure IT business development and client relationship management which would be the result of successful implementation of project technical activities and timely deliverables.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing with the beneficiary agencies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, information provision;
- Identifying user training needs for the operations/projects staff on ICT issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices directly linked to ICT management;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning; Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports, make presentations in a variety of fora, and conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations;
- Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to audience.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box";
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
Required Skills and Experience
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands;
- Able to work on tight deadlines;
- Knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university Degree (Master's Degree) in Information systems, Information Management or Bachelors with 4 years of experience in Computer Science, Information System, Mathematics, Statistics or related discipline;
- A first-level university degree in combination with other qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree. Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- 2 years of relevant working experience, including development and implementation of ICT strategies, management and supervision of ICT services and teams, hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
Application Closing Date
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat;
- For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
25th February, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online