The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional grouping with 15 Member States in West Africa (three landlocked and one island) with a population of about 300million and an annual economic growth rate of around 6%. The ECOWAS Commission is one of the eight Regional Economic Communities supporting the African Union to coordinate the implementation of continental and regional integration and development programmes in the West African region.
We are currently seeking to employ suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant for the Development of a Regional Programme to Facilitate the Supply of Petroleum Products in the ECOWAS Region
Duties and Responsibilities of the Consultants
- For several years, ECOWAS has been striving to ensure reliable energy supply (electricity, oil, coal and gas) in the region, improve energy security and guarantee access to modern energy services across the region.
- Undeniably, significant progress has been made in the Energy sector. This notwithstanding, there are still many challenges to be addressed in our region’s energy sector particularly in the oil and gas sub-sector. It has therefore become necessary to step up efforts in the oil and gas sector particularly to improve the petroleum products supply and implement appropriate mechanisms with a view to finding lasting solutions to the ongoing issues.
- This will promote the development and integration of the hydrocarbon sector in our region to enable our Member States to optimize their supply chain and ensure energy security.
- It is within this context that ECOWAS is seeking to engage a consultant to develop a regional programme to facilitate the supply of petroleum products in the ECOWAS region in order to reinforce energy security in the region.
- The overall goal of the study is to design a regional programme to facilitate the supply of petroleum products in the ECOWAS region while removing all obstacles to supply in the region by strengthening existing refineries and developing regional infrastructure to ease transport and storage of petroleum products.
The Consultant will be expected to provide the following services:
- Perform a detailed analysis of the current status of the oil and gas sector in the ECOWAS region. The analysis will identify the region’s oil and gas potential, exploration and oil production, refining constraints, storage capacity, sources and supply chains as well as distribution and tariff systems;
- Analyze the current issues related to the supply of petroleum products in the ECOWAS region particularly with regard to regulatory, institutional and infrastructural issues;
- Estimate the demand of petroleum products supply for the next 20 years and assess the inducted impact on the infrastructure needs;
- Identify regional and national projects, actions or initiatives to help resolve the current difficulties and facilitate the supply of petroleum products in the region;
- Assess the feasibility of setting up regional storage and integrated infrastructures for carrying petroleum products. The consultant should ensure that these initiatives are in consonance with international standards;
- Propose measures to improve the efficiency and profitability of local refineries;
- Develop a programme to facilitate the supply of petroleum products in the ECOWAS region which lays down the vision. strategic objectives, measures and actions to help resolve the current difficulties associated with the supply of petroleum products in the region; and
- Propose a short, medium and long-term action plan alongside a mechanism for programme funding and implementation.
The study will be carried out by one (1) consultant, responding to the profile below:
- A specialist in oil and gas and petroleum infrastructure, hold an Engineering degree (Petroleum Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Chemical Engineer or equivalent etc.), with proven experience in similar studies (minimum of 2 projects) in the ECOWAS region, including sound experience in petroleum upstream and downstream sector particularly in refinery, petroleum products storage and transport infrastructures, petroleum regulations, trading and distribution of petroleum products.
- He must also have fifteen (15) years working experience gained in an international or national oil firm, a consultancy firm ora government.
- He must be fluent in English or French and have good knowledge of the other language (reading, writing and speaking).
The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible Consultants (Individual) to indicate their interests in providing these services. The interested Consultants must provide all information supporting their qualification to perform the services Kindly attach detailed Curriculum Vitae that highlights the following:
- Curriculum and Certificates photocopies;
- Past Experiences of similar jobs over the past Ten (10) years;
- Computer knowledge; knowledge of the area;
- Language and any other information useful for the accomplishment of this project.
Please note that if individual consultants are proposed by firms, only the experience and qualifications of the individuals shall be used in the selection process, their corporate experience shall not be taken into account, and the contract, if given, will be signed with the proposed individuals.
The selection will be done on the basis of a comparison of curricula vitae and the selected Consultant will be invited to produce Technical and Financial Proposals which will serve as the basis for negotiation for the conclusion of the Contract Agreement. (Selection method: Individual Consultant based on the Consultant’s Qualification). Please note that the selected consultants will be expected to submit all required reports in English or French.
The attention of interested firms is drawn to Article 87 of the ECOWAS Tender Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), setting forth corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per Article 17. (h) of the ECOWAS Tender Code.
Application Closing Date
11.00 a.m (GMT+1) Thursday: 1st September, 2016.
Method of Application
Expressions of interest (1 Original and 3 copies) must be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked: (“Recruitment of a Consultant for the Development of a Regional Programme to Facilitate the Supply of Petroleum Products in the ECOWAS Region", Do not open except in presence of the Tender Committee) to the address below:
The ECOWAS Tender Box:
The Office of the Commissioner,
General Administration & Conference,
5th Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
Abuja - Nigeria
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9: 00 a.m. (GMT+1) to 5.00 p.m. (GMT+1).
Directorate of General Administration,
101 ,Yakubu Gowon Crescent Asokoro District,
P. M. B. 401,
Abuja - Nigeria.
By email: email@example.com
- Expressions of Interest can be submitted in any of the ECOWAS official languages (English, French or Portuguese).
- Electronic submissions are not accepted and will not be evaluated.