The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region. Considered one of the pillars of the African Economic Community, the organization was founded in order to achieve "collective self-sufficiency" for its member states by creating a single large trading bloc through an economic and trading union. It also serves as a peacekeeping force in the region. The organization operates officially in three co-equal languages—French, English, and Portuguese.
We are currently recruiting for the position below
Job Position: Translator (Portuguese, French & English)
: Abuja, Nigeria
Qualifications and Skills
- Translating from English into French or Portuguese, or from French or Portuguese into English or French, subject to revision, of correspondence and other documents such as letters, reports, agreements and summaries, frequently using terminology from the fields of law, crime prevention, rule of law, money laundering, terrorism financing and other fields.
- Identifying changes, new developments, inconsistencies and linguistic variations in the different terminology fields used in Communication and Information Technologies.
- Undertaking linguistic research and documentation on publications, including terminologies and ensuring proper storage of the research outcomes and constant updating of terminology database and tool
- Following recent developments in computer-aided translation (CAT) and terminology.
- Maintaining close contact with colleagues and other language specialists within and outside the organization in order to promote a consistent and standard use of terminology in ECOWAS documents.
Application Closing Date
- University degree in the relevant language and /or qualification from an internationally recognized School of Translators.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in translation into English, French or Portuguese, preferably within a national Government, international or non-governmental organization.
- Good grasp of ECOWAS aims and objectives and procedures.
- Perfect command of the candidates native or main working language and excellent knowledge of the other official ECOWAS language.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure and produce high quality translations within stipulated deadlines.
- High degree of skill in writing, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the source text.
- Ability to quickly understand technical subjects and maintain good interpersonal relationships as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Candidate should not be 50 years old or over at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
- Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese.
24th April, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
click here to apply online