African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Economist Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) - Public Sector
: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093576
The Hiring Deparment/ Division
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
- The Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting And Research Department is dedicated to the generation of high quality knowledge in the area of development in Africa.
- It provides technical support to operations and regional member countries through rigorous analytical work; engages in impactful policy dialogue with decision-making bodies within and outside of the Bank; and most importantly enhance the operational effectiveness of the Bank in achieving the High 5s
- The activities of the department are structured around the Macroeconomic Policy, Debt Sustainability and Forecasting on one side, and the Microeconomics, Institutional and Development Impact on the other.
- The Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division focuses on microeconomic issues related to development finance, infrastructure development, private sector development, industrial organizations, governance, competitiveness & investment climate, agriculture, institutions, and regional integration to support the High 5s.
- In addition, the Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division is the institutional anchor of the ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) and Impact Evaluation of the Bank’s operations, as such it is a key element of the Bank Results Framework and the primary tool for mainstreaming Development Outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Research Economist in charge of the public sector, as part of the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment team will contribute both through assessing and rating public sector operations as well as assisting the team on analytical work and research to inform operations, management and Bank clients in Regional Member Countries.
Under the supervision of the Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division Manager, the Research Economist in charge of the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment, Public Sector Operations will:
Participate in Ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment of Bank’s Public sector operations:
- Provide inputs and assist the team in the delivery ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment of the African Development Bank Public Sector Operations, Regional Operations and any other type of operation as required by the management.
- Contribute to any revisions to the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment framework for public sector operations on the basis of implementation experience and lessons from other Development Finance institutions.
Participate in research activities in the areas in the areas Supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High Priority Areas:
- Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)). This includes also strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive and green growth.
Provide Inputs into the Production of the Bank’s Flagship Publications:
- Contribute to the preparation of the report or assigned section, write assigned sections and follow it (peer reviews) until the publication;
- Disseminate the findings of reports.
Provide Technical and Analytical Inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers ;
- Participate in Economic Sector Works ;
- Participate in the peer review process of project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
Contribute knowledge in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series " and the Bank’s "African Development Review":
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Provide inputs in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and Experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master degree in Economics, Finance, or related discipline.
- At least four (4) years’ experience in development policy research and analysis on microeconomic issues related to finance, infrastructure development, private sector development, industrial organizations, governance & institutions, agriculture, competitiveness & investment climate, and regional integration, project analysis and/or monitoring and evaluation, Public Private Partnerships or sector operations.
- Publication record in international peer reviewed journals, or proven record of publications of reports, working papers, and books focusing on microeconomic issues related to development finance, infrastructure development, private sector development, industrial organizations, governance, competitiveness & investment climate, agriculture, institutions, and regional integration.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Very Good knowledge and background in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in project evaluation, finance and development economics research;
- Proven ability in development policy research and analysis of economic conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas).
- Ability to conduct research projects under the guidance of the manager or supervisor
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda, speeches and notes for use in decision making processes.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of leading econometrics software packages and in Microsoft Suites (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
19th June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online