Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Organizational Capacity Strengthening Technical Advisor
Advert Code: OCSTA070617
Reports To: Sustainability Director
- Organizational Capacity Strengthening Technical Advisor (CSO) will support the Sustainability Director to conceptualize and implement the overall strategy and approach to graduation, transition in relation to CSO/CBOs providing OVC services, including child protection networks (CPNs).
- S/he will lead the design, coordination and implementation of contextualized technical assistance to PEPFAR OVC IPs in order to strengthen the ability of CSO/CBOs to fulfil their mandate as part of a HIV-sensitive social service system.
- This TA will ensure quality, manage, support and supervise capacity strengthening consultants, STTA and ensure technical and organizational capacity strengthening needs are met.
- The Organizational Capacity Strengthening Technical Advisor will work closely with the Government System Strengthening Technical Advisor, Agricultural Livelihoods Technical Advisor, the Household Economic Strengthening Technical Director and Officer and MEAL Manager to ensure a harmonized approach to capacity strengthening implementation and monitoring.
- The position will have change management and capacity strengthening experience.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
- Support the conceptualization and implementation of 4Children Nigeria’s harmonized, standardized, and contextualized approach to holistic, costed sustainability planning at the PEPFAR OVC Implementing Partner (IP), government, civil society, community, household and individual levels to support OVC and household graduation/transition and social service system strengthening; ensure alignment with national graduation strategy and criteria and progress towards OVC service delivery standards.
- Support PEPFAR OVC IPs to carry out baseline organizational capacity assessments and use the results of this (or previous) assessments to develop, implement and track progress on sustainability plans and associated capacity strengthening plans designed to support a HIV-sensitive social service system.
- Support PEPFAR OVC IPs, Zonal or State costed sustainability planning workshops components related to CSO/CBO and OVC-related networks capacity strengthening; participate in National level sustainability planning workshop.
- Lead the design, coordination and implementation of contextualized organizational development and technical assistance that PEPFAR OVC IPs can cascade to their CSO/CBO partners and networks.
- Identify/adapt and promote evidence-based organizational capacity strengthening tools, methods or approaches that PEPFAR OVC IPs can use or improve upon to address identified capacity gaps or areas in need of improvement for CSO/CBO and networks to better support OVC and household graduation/transition and strengthen a HIV-sensitive social service system; liaise closely with 4Children Nigeria Technical Advisors to address gaps.
- Adapt existing 4Children and other tools (i.e., Sustainability Capacity Assessment Tool – SAF-T) and National Harmonized Capacity Assessment Tool Plus) to assess CSO/CBO capacity, identify areas in need of improvement and support development of organizational capacity improvement plans.
- Jointly formulate strategies and action plans for addressing weaknesses or capacity gaps in CSO/CBOs and networks.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to PEPFAR OVC IPs on the use and adoption of the latest tools and methodologies to support all aspects of project management related to capacity strengthening and sustainability plan implementation.
- Establish systems for monitoring and evaluating capacity to measure progress and generate an evidence base for successful and sustainable approaches to organizational capacity strengthening for CSOs/CBOs providing OVC services.
- Collaborate with and develop scopes of work for specialists and/or external consultants to provide targeted technical assistance and training to CBOs/CSOs and networks informed by capacity strengthening needs identified in the costed sustainability plans.
- Support Zonal/State level organizational network analyses (ONA) to strengthen referral networks and promote linkages between community, facility and State-level protection and HIV services in collaboration with the Zonal State Coordinator, Case Management and Referral Technical Advisor, States, PEPFAR OVC IPs, health facilities, CSO/CBOs, networks and other aspects of a HIV-sensitive social service system.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
Program Manager Competencies
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each Program Manager to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
- Sets clear goals and manages toward them
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
- Manages financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
- Consultants and short-term technical assistance.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: 4Children Core Leadership and Technical Advisors; 4Children Nigeria Technical Staff; CRS Nigeria Programming, Finance, Procurement, and HR/Administration.
- External: Donors, 4Children consortium members, government ministries/institutions at the National, State and LGA levels, UN agencies, other PEPFAR implementers including UGM partners, LOPINS and all other PEPFAR OVC IPs, civil society and faith-based organizations providing OVC services, Child Protection and OVC Networks, research institutions, and relevant private sector entities.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Business Administration or Organizational Management or Leadership, or equivalent degree with proven capacity strengthening experience.
- Five years of experience in organizational development and provision of technical assistance to international non-governmental organizations and/or civil society and faith-based organizations preferably to those engaged in HIV care and treatment and/or OVC services delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relationships with and accountability towards diverse actors including donors, PEPFAR OVC, government, and civil society partners.
- Demonstrated ability motivate and inspire teamwork among diverse partners, without direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Excellent project management skills including the demonstrated ability to conduct assessments, analysis, monitoring, and reporting as well as the ability to develop practical solutions within set deadlines.
- Experience in quality improvement science, using data to inform decision-making and sustainability planning/monitoring a plus.
- Excellent negotiation and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, partnership, and training, facilitation and mentoring skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of GON OVC service delivery standards and PEPFAR programming, process, guidance and frameworks is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience in organizational network analysis a plus.
Application Closing Date
- The Organizational Development Technical Advisor will be expected to travel frequently within Nigeria and potentially outside of Nigeria to attend conference, workshops or other activities related to the project.
21st June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form Below" and send with a detailed 3-page resume in a single file word document to: [email protected]
Stating the position and advert code as the subject of the email e.g. Organizational Capacity Strengthening Technical Advisor - OCSTA070617
Click here to download Application Form (MS Word)
- Applications must reach us on or before the closing date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc.