The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Recruitment Type: National (3 year renewable contract)
The tasks will include:
- Manage Confined Field Trials for CASS project
- Supervise sampling and sample processing for the CASS project.
- Manage all activities related to the CASS confined field trials.
- Investigate the molecular basis of resistance to viral diseases (CMD and CBSV) in cassava.
- Study genes and pathways involved in the mechanism of storage root initiation in cassava.
- Study the differential expression profile of mRNA and smallRNA in different cassava genotypes before and after storage root initiation
- Study the differential RNA expression profiles in banana genotypes selected within the MUSA project.
- Produce and analyse RNA and smallRNA sequencing data in collaboration with the bioinformatics unit.
- Implement capacity for NGS RNA libraries preparation at Bioscience unit.
- Implement capacity for assessment of gene function and gene modification including: agrobacterium-mediated transient gene expression and virus induced gene silencing (VIGS) technologies.
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
- Supervise and train PhD and master students supported by the CASS and MUSA projects in advanced molecular biology and virology.
- The candidate should have earned a PhD in Plant Molecular Biology or Plant Biotechnology or Plant Protection or associated discipline from a recognized university.
- Excellent skills in advanced molecular biology.
- Experience in agrobacteria and plant transformation.
- Experience in Virus-induced gene silencing technology.
- Experience in Next Generation Sequencing library preparation.
- Experience in molecular virology.
- Work experience in a biosafety level 2 facility.
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish articles in peer reviewed international journals.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in NGS data analysis is an asset
- At least 5-years postdoc work experience in an advanced plant molecular laboratory would be an advantage
The contract will be for an initial period of two years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application below attaching their cover letters with detailed curriculum vitae saved in a single file in Microsoft Word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.