The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the worlds leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer II
Recruitment Type: National (3year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Support the design and review of the ME&L system
- Fine-tune the project indicators matrix and finalize the ME&L Plan including reviews (where appropriate);
- Ensure the design and program data collection tools using ODK;
- Review sources of data, collection methods, responsible persons, how often, cost of collection, etc.
- Support the review of the ME&L plan including indicators, sources of data, collection methods, roles and responsibilities;
- Develop alternative strategies for implementation of ME&L activities (where required);
- Scope out activities that will complement the ME&L Plan (for example, annual project/partner reviews, lessons-learned workshops, etc).
- Consolidate a culture of lessons learning involving all project staff and allocate specific responsibilities;
Oversee and implement ME&L activities:
- Provide capacity building support to partners by explaining the approach, methodology, and tools for ACAI ME&L data collection; describe the roles and responsibilities of partners involved; and outline the supporting procedures for data collection, quality control, analysis and reporting;
- Conduct regular assessment of partners’ capacity to implement ME&L activities. Design, organize and undertake capacity building activities on ME&L based on existing capacity gaps identified;
- Develop alternative strategies for implementation of ME&L activities per partnership (where required);
- Scope out activities that will complement the ME&L Plan (annual project/partner reviews, lessons-learned workshops etc.);
- Prepare detailed calendar of ME&L activities (e.g. capacity building, partner review sessions, etc) per year with accompanying budget;
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of ME&L and to identify where adaptations might be needed;
- Ensure inclusion of ME&L activities sub-grants include (data to be collected, the reporting systems) and the penalties for failure to report as specified;
- Support the implementation of Baseline, Mid - term and End of Project Evaluations;
- Review the format for bi-annual work stream reporting and project internal annual performance report;
- Prepare consolidated progress reports for project management, in accordance with approved reporting formats and timing;
- Support staff and implement partners in preparing progress reports, access and provide feedback on reports in terms of data gaps, challenges, and actions needed;
- Work closely with the project communication officer to identify results and field stories that should be highlighted in communication materials.
- B.Sc in Social Sciences, Statistics, Agricultural Economics or other related fields with Four (4) years’ relevant experience performing similar duties
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent monitoring and evaluation skills in designing and conducting survey exercises, data collection (key stakeholder interviews, focus groups, surveys, and secondary data analysis) and data management.
- Experience in the use of electronic data collection systems such as ODK.
- Experience working with private sector, public organizations and or agricultural donor-funded projects.
- Experience in performing basic statistical analysis and interpreting results correctly.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to present materials in meetings and to write project documents.
- Good personal organization, interpersonal and communication skills
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
29th June, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.