The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State and surrounding North-Eastern states. NRC initially started activities in the areas of Food Security & Livelihood, Water and Sanitation (WaSH), Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Shelter/NFI sectors and subsequently Education.
NRC is therefore seeking suitable and qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: The Finance Coordinator.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Assist for the reconciliation of NRC bank accounts and cash boxes
- Establish a good tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time.
- Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is done.
- Ensure that weekly, monthly finance reports are prepared on time.
- Assist to prepare donors finance reports and proposals.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Prepare day to day financial transactions
- Prepare post-backs for Agresso import
- Establish a good system of advances management
- Management of bank and cash transactions
- Assist to facilitate audit follow ups and activities
- Reconciliation of balance accounts on a monthly basis
- Archiving of financial documents
- Ensure that NRC and Donor guide lines are adhered to
- Facilitate cash counts and safeguard of cash in the office.
- Process vendors’ invoices and payments
- Maintain the purchase order system
- Follow up on other tasks assigned by line manager
- Experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Degree in Accounting or related field
- At least 2 years of experience in a related function
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Application Closing Date
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 31st August, 2018 (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
31st July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application letters, updated CV's and copy of a valid means of national identification (Driver License, National Passport, Voters Card, National Identity Card) to: [email protected]
The title of the position (Finance Officer- Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- To apply at NRC is FREE!!!, NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.