African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Reporting Officer
Position N°: 50093650
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
- The role of the Bank’s Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector in Regional Member Countries, ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
- The mandate of the Portfolio Asset Management Division is to implement the Private Sector Development strategy through effective, efficient and consolidated monitoring and supervision of projects, programs and investments supported by the Bank through its private sector window. This will be achieved by drawing lessons from past operations to help improve the quality of new operations; loans, equity investments, guarantees and other projects.
- The Division provides expertise, technical assistance and advisory services to origination and project monitoring units. The ultimate objective is to maintain the quality of the portfolio, at the aggregate level, within board approved limits throughout the life of the project/investment cycle and maximize development outcomes and Bank’s additionality.
- While the teams in the Sectors have the day-to-day management responsibility of the success of the project/investments, the officers of the Portfolio Asset Management Division have the full responsibility over the investment after the first disbursement in order to ensure that the Regional Directorates and Sector Department remain accountable for processing transactions to the point where all conditions of first disbursement are met. The Portfolio Asset Management Division is part of the Project Appraisal Team, to ensure dissemination of lessons learnt and quality at entry.
The purpose of the job is as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Reporting Officer’s objectives are to ensure that the Department’s preparation of periodic Department Reports to Senior Management is done expeditiously and in time and to act as the liaison with other members of the ecosystem (such as Risk Management Department, Independent Development Review Department, Delivery Performance Management and Results, etc.) to ensure that their own periodic reporting is completed using the most recent and updated project information available to the Bank.
- Tracks key performance indicators for all Private Sector Operations and reports same on periodic basis to Senior Management for monitoring and control of Private Sector Operations performance against business targets.
- The Section collaborates with external clients to ensure reporting compliance and adherence to standards and feed into other multilateral development institutions reporting and consolidation of all private sector development impacts and results.
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief Portfolio Management Officer, the Senior Reporting Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review, in liaison with Legal department, of the Portfolio’s collateral held and ensure that it is perfected and enforceable in need, drawing attention to the Division Manager Portfolio Management and his/her Officers where some security is not perfected.
- Lead Portfolio Analytical work in order to provide management with a background for their decision making in respect of:
- The level of non-performing loans (NPLs), its trend analysis, the reasons why the NPL ratio is at the level it is and recommend what actions need to be taken to ensure that this remains within acceptable levels;
- Review the Risk Capital Consumption with respect to both debt and equity and make appropriate recommendations, in consultation with all relevant stakeholders, what proactive actions need to be taken to ensure that business continuity can be achieved without breaching the Bank’s set Limits on Risk Capital;
- The quality of the loan book with respect to the Weighted Average Risk Rating (WARR), arrears management and actions being taken or to be taken to ensure that the quality of the asset book (both debt and equity) remain within the Bank’s target WARR range.
Lead the preparation and submission to Management of periodic portfolio and project specific reports. These reports will include but will not be limited to:
- Quarterly and Half yearly portfolio reports for submission to Management on the performance of the portfolio;
- Cancellable operations that have remained undisbursed over a considerable period of time that is not considered acceptable under the Bank’s guidelines; and
- Expanded Supervision Reports for drawing of lessons learnt for projects implemented.
Monitor and review quantitative and qualitative data and analyses periodic financial and operation performance of project finance transactions in the portfolio against targets to proactively identify issues that should engage portfolio management attention and review consistency with the Bank’s portfolio guidelines.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in in Finance, Management or Economics;
Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or in strategic consultancy, business development and macroeconomic analysis;
Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
Client and results oriented individual, with strong analytical and communication skills;
Sense of initiative and innovation in proposing public/private solutions to client needs;
A strong client service orientation with excellent relationship building abilities;
Teamwork oriented with excellent interpersonal skills for dealing with internal and external contacts;
Ability to respond swiftly to new situations and to anticipate new issues;
The ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries and to build networks;
Exceptional skill in project management finance;
Strong skill in finance analysis;
Good understanding of financial model interpretation;
Strong drafting ability;
Ability to summarize strategic documents and highlight main ideas;
Understanding and interest in economic concepts with good knowledge in international economic development issues;
Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
23rd August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online