African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Board Business and Liaison Officer
: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001411
The Hiring Department
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President ; Independent Development Evaluation Department ; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department ; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit ; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board ; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department ; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
- The role of the Banks' Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of:
- the Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section;
- Board Affairs and Proceedings Division ;
- Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division ; and
- Conferences and Meetings Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The objective of the position of Principal Board Business and Liaison Officer is to oversee the administrative affairs of the Board of Directors, ensure adequate preparation of the Boards meetings from annotated agenda to consultations with Executive Director’s, and prepare/contribute to statutory documents for the Annual Meetings of the Boards of Governors.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Manager, Board Affairs and Proceedings Division, the Principal Board Business and Liaison Officer will:
- Supervise administrative matters regarding the implementation of the conditions of service of Elected Officers.
- Organize the recruitment process of external Consultants to carry out the review of the conditions of service of Elected Officers (salary, benefits and privileges).
- Supervise the logistics for the participation of Executive Directors and their Senior Advisers and Advisers in the Annual Meetings of the Bank Group.
- Supervise at the venue of the Annual Meetings, the logistics for the various activities of the Governors (Governors’ lounge, Recording of Governors’ speeches, etc.).
- Prepare Elected Officers’ contracts: (i) Contracts of Executive Directors-Elect for signature of the President of the Bank Group; (ii) Contract of the President-Elect of the Bank Group for signature of the Secretary General.
- Supervise the process of assumption of duty and end of term of Elected Officers.
- Supervise in collaboration with Human Resources Management Department, the process for the assumption of duty and end of term of Senior Advisers and Advisers to Executive Directors.
- Update and reformat the Executive Director’s Manual.
- Supervise, monitor and distribute the list of Governors and Alternates on a monthly basis.
- Supervise and monitor the President’s Annotated Agendas for every Board meeting and other related documents.
- Conduct consultations with Executive Directors prior to Board meetings. Based on the outcome of the consultations advice on the need for any Board agenda adjustments.
- Contribute to the preparation of statutory documents for the Annual Meetings of the Boards of Governors and for documents to be approved by the Governors by postal ballot.
- Contribute to the preparation of Meetings of the Board of Governor’s Standing Committee on the Conditions of Service of Elected Officers :prepare invitation letters, compile documents included in the agenda on time; monitor the decisions and resolutions taken by the Committee with a view to preparing status reports for the Boards and the draft work programme for the subsequent year.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in International Corporate Law, Political Science, Corporate Governance, Business Administration, Development Economics and Finance, or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in a similar position preferably in a Multilateral Development Bank.
- Tactful with a good sense of diplomacy and a good understanding of the implications for issues that may arise.
- Thorough understanding of the rules governing the composition and functioning of Multilateral Development Banks’ Boards of Directors and Boards of Governors and their subsidiary organs.
- Excellent understanding of the Bank group‘s policies, strategy and operational issues and Board processes.
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills; ability to think strategically.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work programs, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to work effectively with other technical and management professionals of diverse occupational and cultural backgrounds as a team in a corporate environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP (or other integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages is an added advantage.
28th August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online