African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Chief Legal Counsel - Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division
Position N°: 50093772
Publication date: 14/08/2017
The Hiring Department/Division
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
- The role of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department is to deliver legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank Group (the Bank): Board of Governors, Board of Directors, Senior Management, Regional Directorate Hubs and more generally to the whole Bank.
- The General Counsel and Legal Services Department’s job is also to protect the interest of the Bank from legal liability and, as necessary, to ensure that the Bank Group is properly and efficiently defended in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
- The principal objective of the Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division is to provide legal support, advice, and services in connection with public sector transactions and project implementation for loans and grants for the African Development Bank, the African Development Fund, and other special vehicles such as trust funds, projects and programs.
- In addition, the Division provides legal assistance on operations policies and governance, environmental and procurement related matters as well as all aspects of the business of the Bank Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Regional Chief Legal Counsel - Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division is a team leader in the Regional Hub and in consultation with the Division Manager coordinates and supervises the work of counsel in the Hub.
- The Regional Chief Legal Counsel is responsible for drafting and negotiating complex legal documents of all public sector operations including Public Private Partnerships.
- He/she also supervises, mentors and coaches counsel in their day-to-day work.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Public Sector Operations, policy and Governance, the Regional Chief Legal Counsel Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division will:
- Ensure compliance of projects and other operational activity with applicable Bank’s rules and policies.
- Prepare and issue legal opinions on agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the Bank Group and Special Funds with members and non-member countries, international organizations and governmental and non-governmental entities.
- Provide legal assistance throughout the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and post-evaluation stages.
- Assist in the design of projects and programs from inception to completion in compliance with the Bank’s policies, rules, and guidelines as well as minimize risks that may impede the achievement of desirable outcomes.
- Participate in meetings and provide legal support to project teams including the structure of the project, type of financing instruments, terms of financing, implementation arrangements and compliance with the relevant Bank Group applicable policies, rules and regulations.
- Draft and Negotiate financing agreements including loan agreements, grant agreements, guarantee agreements and co-financing agreements with other lenders.
- Provide legal opinions on the effectiveness of Loan Agreements and the fulfilment of conditions precedent to disbursement including the review of legal and operational documents submitted in fulfilment of loan and grant conditions.
- Provide legal support and technical assistance to regional member countries and to regional and sub-regional institutions in connection with matters pertaining to the purpose, functions and activities of the Bank and to developmental issues and activities.
- Provide legal support in the drafting of all operational policies, directives and instructions of the Bank Group and Special Funds.
- Provide legal assistance in operations-related implementation activities of bilateral and multilateral cooperation arrangements related to public sector operations.
- Draft Board resolutions pertaining to public sector projects and programs.
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and Senior Management committees directly related to the functions of the Manager; and
- Undertake such other assignments as required by the Division Manager, Public Sector Operations, policy and Governance or the General Counsel.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold a Master's degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; OR a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in similar jobs in a law firm, a financial institution or a multilateral organisation.
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of Legal Services Department’s work program.
- Seasoned knowledge in the current trend of development and familiarity with development and international finance.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, leading the negotiation of complex projects and other transactions of a similar nature.
- Effective advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve their legal questions.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to lead independently and supervise a multicultural team.
- Solid experience in applying legal knowledge to deliver full scope of strategic legal services.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other. Fluency in the national language(s) of the Region may be an added advantage depending on the Region.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications. .Knowledge of SAP is an asset.
1st September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online