Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Warehouse/Fleet Officer (National Contract Only)
Overall Purpose of the Role
- The Warehouse and Fleet Officer is responsible to the Logistics and Procurement Officer on a day to day basis, overall reporting to the Logistics and Procurement Manager, and with technical supervision by the Senior Logistics Officer and Fleet Manager.
- Fleet management responsibilities include facilitating and coordinating movements (Road and Air), maintenance, and planning of all vehicles operated by DRC in (primary location) including field locations.
- This includes routine repairs, facilitating all movement needs and monitoring of field movements. With (number of vehicles) and (number of staff), the Fleet Officer position will demand a highly motivated, detail oriented individual who will be able to solve challenges as they arise.
- Warehouse responsibilities include management of all warehouses and stores in compliance with operational and documentation standards, ensure correct and timely dispatch and receipt of non-food and food commodities in support of a range of programme activities, and maintenance of full and compliant documentation and reporting.
- Oversee the repair and maintenance operation for all project vehicles in the designated office(s).
- Oversee assigned fleet’s operations and make direct reports to the supervisors and Area Manager as required on fleet performance and other operational requirements.
- Coordinate vehicle concerns and issues with the relevant managers as required.
- Work with the drivers to ensure a regular maintenance schedule for all vehicles and ensure that log books are kept up to date.
- Manage the service contracts for fueling of vehicles to ensure proper use of fuel rations; maintain log and account for fuel and oil storage tanks
- Research and develop specifications for vehicles, equipment, supplies and materials.
- Plan/develop and execute a vehicle and equipment replacement schedule.
- Determine the need and benefits of out-sourcing vehicle repairs or services.
- Negotiate and establish repair cost or parts pricing with commercial vendors.
- Work with the Safety Officer and Safety Advisor on activities related to dispatching, routing, and tracking vehicles.
- Obtain and maintain annual inspections by regulatory authorities or in line with contractual obligations from counter-parties.
- Maintain daily inspections.
- Conduct local safety meetings.
- Oversee and schedule fleet maintenance and repairs.
- Oversee proper maintenance of parts and other consumables’ inventory.
- Responsible for operations ground safety.
Inventory Management, Documentation and Reports:
- Maintain equipment records in accordance with federal, state and local laws, policy or regulation.
- Collect log books from each vehicle at the beginning of every month and summarize the data and report for management use.
- Provision of monthly vehicle maintenance reports.
- Provide reports on vehicles attracting unusually high maintenance costs.
- Ensure faults on vehicles are identified on time and secure approval from the relevant supervisor before they are submitted for repairs.
- Ensure accidents are promptly reported
- Maintain files by vehicle in a complete and up-to-date manner. Files to contain all information pertaining to a particular vehicle, including Fixed Asset Notice Forms, COF, Tax, Insurance, Accident Reports and maintenance details
- Provide mileage and amount of fuel used per vehicle, through vehicle log books and regularly provide reports to monitor and control.
- Make sure that each vehicle always has a vehicle logbook and they are properly, accurately and consistently filled in.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for parts and supplies; review vendor bid responses for tools, equipment, parts and services; monitor expenditures.
- Manage the driver’s time sheet and over time charges, ensuring the overtime is not excessive and time sheet are properly completed.
- Manage the Performance Review process of the driver pool, ensuring that driver’s self-assessment forms are properly completed and submitted in time.
- Make and advise recommendations to Human Resources Department, through the Human Resources Officer, on training, annual leave or off-days, scheduling, reprimanding, hiring, and termination of recalcitrant employees
- Develop, maintain and ensure adherence to disciplinary procedures and drivers’ orientation program
- Plan, organize and manage the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
- Perform related work as required.
- Ensure management of the base and warehouse stocks according to WFP and DRC operational standards:
- Ensure all deliveries are conform with delivery notes and/or waybills.
- Update the monthly inventory and complete stock reports.
- Ensure that every item in the store has up-to-date stock cards and bin cards.
- Clean the store daily and ensure it is regularly disinfected and ventilated, check products and floor for pest infection.
- Store all items on pallets.
- Check the temperature and humidity of the store.
- Remove infected products, keep them separate and inform the line manager.
- Separate food products from other products.
- Ensure security guards are trained properly.
- Support cargos and shipments
- Complete the various shipping documents in time including GRNs.
- Supervise and support packaging, loading and offloading of supplies and equipment.
- Liaise with transporter (if needed)/ DRC driver on the handover of received shipments, check deliveries, sign delivery notes/ waybills, issue reception notes and make sure these are kept on file.
- Check the quality of the food items and non-food items to be stocked.
- Examine the deliveries: quantity, quality, documentation.
- Check the sanitary conditions of the products entering.
- Report any problem with the quality or quality.
Reporting & Archiving:
Experience and Technical Competencies
- Provide sitreps to managers on deliveries and distributions.
- Physical inventory report upon return from deployment.
- Archive all warehouse documents (stock cards, stock reports), shipping documents (delivery notes, waybills, reception notes) as per DRC standard guidelines.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in warehouse management.
- Experience with vehicle / fleet management.
- Must be a mature, motivated, problem solving individual with high levels of initiative.
- Minimum of two years of relevant administrative management experience, preferably with an international organization/NGO.
- Strong IT skills (especially MS Office).
- A certification in motor vehicle mechanics or transportation will have an added advantage.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must demonstrate a good understanding of contemporary management best practices.
- Demonstrate high level of initiative, diplomacy and tact.
- Must be flexible and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good supervision skills and report writing.
- Proven level of integrity and honesty.
- Willingness and ability to travel to field locations regularly and sometimes on short notice.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Mechanical Engineering, Logistics or any other related qualification.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in Hausa and either Higi or Margi.
- Other local languages are a plus.
Key Stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Line managers and technical counterparts.
- Project managers.
- Safety team.
- Finance staff.
- Programme staff in the Mubi office.
- Representatives of other Projects.
- Contractors and suppliers.
- Government representatives.
- Clients of the DRC Nigeria Programme.
- Vehicle dealers and repair agencies, Insurance agencies, FRSC, VIO.
Application Closing Date
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
- The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
21st August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.