The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the worlds leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
- Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Carryout genotyping using different marker systems including SSRs, SNPs, and others for planting material designed for various genetic analysis including linkage mapping, QTL analysis;
- Carry out collection of leaf tissue from the field and screenhouse, prepare DNA and RNA for next-generation sequencing (GBS,DArT, whole genome sequencing and re-sequencing, RNAseq etc);
- Carry out plant DNA/RNA isolation, DNA/RNA quality and quantity analysis and standard PCR amplification designed for genomic studies;
- Carry out gel electrophoresis and other cognate molecular techniques;
- Carry out basic informatics analysis and use of web-based biological tools;
- Supervise and train laboratory personnel and carryout general administration/maintenance of the laboratory;
- Carry out maintenance of accurate data record in database and laboratory notebooks;
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations of the biotechnology laboratory;
- Perform any other duties as properly assigned by supervisor.
- B.Sc/HND in Biochemistry, Microbiology or related field with minimum of two (2) years’ experience in molecular biology including DNA/RNA isolation using different marker system such as SSRs, SNPs, data analysis using different statistical packages.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good communication skill.
- Have experience in computer packages such as Microsoft Office and statistical packages such as DARWIN, POWERMAKER, knowledge of R would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
31st August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant's current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)