Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs. Therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to our approach in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established its presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, governance, peace building and Health/HIV programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Project Manager
Job Ref: NPM1708
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Since the crisis in Northeast Nigeria escalated in 2013, the food security situation has continued to worsen.
- Emerging data of June 2016 has revealed that the severity of the food and nutritional crisis is well beyond emergency thresholds in Borno State.
- The Federal Government has declared a food and nutritional crisis in Borno, where over 750,000 people are severely food insecure; including 180,000 in Maiduguri’s outskirts, 120,000 camp residents and approximately 275,000 IDPs in newly reopened areas.
- A growing number of people are in urgent need of food assistance, and alarming rates of acute malnutrition have been reported. Given the unfolding large scale emergency in the north-eastern Nigeria, CRS has scaled up in Yobe and Borno states with multisectoral programming including cash transfer programming via e-vouchers; nutrition, protection, shelter/WASH and agriculture.
- CRS is looking for the strong candidate with skills in nutrition to manage the designing/conceiving, and implementation of CRS nutrition program in North East Nigeria.
- The Nutrition Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the overall management and technical direction of CRS Nutrition program that targets vulnerable IDPs and host communities in NE Nigeria.
- Reporting to the Markets and Nutrition Program Manager with accountability to the Nutrition Officer, Nutrition Assistant and Nutrition Community Mobilizers, the Nutrition PM will undertake the following responsibilities related to project cycle management, technical direction, and program development:
Technical/Administrative, Program Quality and Implementation:
- Ensure quality and timely field level implementation of the Nutrition program against set objectives, targets and work plans
- Advise and assist CRS nutrition team in developing project speciï¬c strategies, tools, systems and plans.
- Ensure that nutrition programs utilizes international best practices, policies and guidelines, in line with Ministry of Health and WHO/UNICEF
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for all nutrition programs in line with CRS guidelines and according to donor requirements
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution
Program Development and Strategic Planning:
- Contribute to and support in carrying-out the situation analysis for the nutrition sector to ensure timely and current data on maternal and child nutrition are available for the designing, development and management of nutrition projects.
- Identify opportunities for program and proposal development in line with the CRS's and donor guidelines
- Participate in proposal writing and budget development processes for nutrition program
- Lead technical assessments as a basis for nutrition program development when necessary to monitor evolving needs of the target communities and adjust the programmatic priorities as necessary
Capacity Building and Supervision:
- Ensure the capacity building of CRS nutrition team and partner staff through on-job training, technical guidance and coaching sessions while ensuring staff performance evaluation plans are developed
- Ensure appropriate support to the nutrition team by regular field visits and provide targeted technical feedback
- Develop capacity building plans and strategies and identify relevant training opportunities for CRS and partner staff to advance knowledge and skills in nutrition.
- Monitor staffing needs and assist the recruitment of local staff and support staff development through mentoring to enhance the capacity of project and partner staff
Coordination and Representation:
- Represent CRS at nutrition sector working group meetings and coordination forums UN, international and national NGOs for nutrition coordination as needed at the LGA and state level
- Ensure a good coordination with other CRS partners staff, nutrition field teams and provide frequent feedback and updates
- Develop new and manage existing relationships with key stakeholders and the potential collaborators for nutrition programs;
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Support the development of field-based reports to CRS and/or external donors, as necessary
- Conduct any other programming responsibility delegated by the supervisor
Application Closing Date
- Master's Degree in Public Health, Nutrition, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in nutrition program implementation with an international humanitarian NGO
- Experience with nutrition in emergencies (CMAM, IYCF-E, data collection), preferably in the Nigerian context
- Experience in conducting nutrition assessments (SMART, KAP surveys) and an understanding of nutritional information systems
- Proven experience in project design and implementation, proposal-writing, budgeting and ï¬nancial management in nutrition
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including Sphere, the humanitarian system, donors, security, and program management.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender responsive programming.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Team-oriented and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize a variety of initiatives
31st August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form Below" and send with a detailed 3-page resume in a single file word document to: [email protected]
Click here to download Application Form
- The position title must be expressly stated as the subject of the email quoting reference number NPM1708.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.