African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Assistant, Problem Solving and Mediation Training
Position N°: 50093582
The Hiring Department
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
- The Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (CRMU) is the organizational unit that administers the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) which is one of the accountability instruments of the African Development Bank.
- The mandate of the IRM is to handle complaints submitted by people who are or are likely to be adversely affected by any of the Bank Group financed operations due to the African Development Bank non -compliance with its own policies and procedures. The IRM examines requests relating to non-compliance with the Bank Group safeguards policies The IRM handles complaints relating to both public and private sector operations.
The role of the Problem Solving and Research Assistant will be to provide support to the Director of CRMU in all problem solving exercises and mediation capacity building activities.
Duties And Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director - Compliance Review and Mediation Unit the Team Assistant Problem Solving and Mediation Training will:
- Conduct research to provide the needed information and data to support the registration of the requests to be handled through solving exercises.
- Conduct research for preparation of problem solving exercise reports.
- Provide support to the Director and the Chief Compliance and Problem Solving Officer in coordination of problem solving missions.
- Prepare templates to track the implementation of remedial actions resulting from problem solving by Management.
- Generate statistics on requests handled through problem solving.
- Support the Senior Communication, Outreach and Knowledge Management Officer in dissemination of information and problem solving reports.
- Organize technical activities for annual delivery of the CRMU Mediation training program, from preparation to implementation and provide support during the preparation of training materials.
- Provide support to the Director and the Chief Compliance and Problem Solving Officer in the procurement of mediation consultants.
- Provide support to the Senior Communication, Outreach and Knowledge Management Officer to prepare and disseminate publications on training activities.
Implementing Work Program:
- Support the preparation of annual planning of problem solving exercises and mediation training;
- Support the budget planning process for the problem solving exercise and mediation training;
- Contribute to the periodic reporting on the performance of the IRM problem solving activities;
- Identify and analyse regularly the issues that are recurrent in the complaints submitted to CRMU that undergo problem solving exercises;
- Administer all problem solving and mediation training files, in both hard and soft copies;
- Produce quarterly reports on the status, nature, trends and outcomes of complaints handled through problem solving; Produce reports on the status mediation training activities;
- Liaise with the Case Management Assistant to compile requests received through the CRMU info/email account to be considered for problem solving;
- Update the IRM complaints register of requests handled through problem solving;
- Provide logistical support to organize problem solving missions; and
- Liaise with the Case Management Assistant to compile management responses to requests handled through problem solving.
IRM Database Management (In coordination with the Case Management and Advisory Assistant):
- Research data to identify mediation consultants in Africa and update CRMU consultants data;
- Contribute to the update of CRMU databases of CSOs/NGOs specialised on mediation issues;
- Support the preparation of reports including statistics on participants’ profile and key recommendations made on annual basis in relation to Problem solving activities; and
- Create templates to monitor the outcomes of mediation training activities.
Administrative and program support (In coordination with the Administrative Assistant and the Senior Secretary):
- Prepare and edit proof memos from CRMU Director relating to problem solving;
- Facilitate the submission for translation and distribution of documents prepared in the context of the problem solving exercise and mediation training activities;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a relevant discipline (Law, International Development or Sociology).
- Have a minimum of six (6) years' experience in operations, law firms or working in research projects firms.
- Experience with an International organization or MDBs is an added advantage.
- Experience in generating and interpreting data for use in reports.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to assess documents to come up with sound actions.
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attentiveness to details.
- Ability to manage multi-task dues under pressure.
- Experience with working with MDBs or other international accountability mechanism.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
6th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online