African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Building Technician
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50051300
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
- The primary roles of the General Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, works and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered.
- To this end the CHGS department formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programmes for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties.
- The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets (valued at over UA 100,000,000). The CHGS department comprises 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement.
- These divisions are: Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS.1); Corporate Procurement Division (CHGS.2); and Support Services Division (CHGS.3).
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Assistant Building Technician will be expected to monitor, through the compilation of information, the visual examination of the premises and the preparation of work orders, the maintenance, repair and housekeeping of the building, the physical plant, equipment and the grounds of the facility; prepare cost projections and historical analyses to ensure the cost effectiveness of operations; implement measures for the safety and security of the premises and staff including conducting inspections, documenting unsafe conditions and accidents and presenting appropriate training at all the premises occupied by the Bank at its Headquarters, Regional and Field Offices.
Under the supervision of the Chief Building Engineer, the Assistant Building Technician will:
- Analyze the state of structural defects and deteriorations, evaluate the works, do an estimate of the required resources and follow up for their approval for renovation or restructuring projects, identify operations that require restoration activities.
- Establish work plans and drawings in line with identified needs, estimate the required resources and follow up for their approval.
- For new projects (of renovation or restructuring as the case may be), prepare drawings as needed.
- Draft terms of references for Request for proposals/quotations.
- Participate as member of technical evaluation committees for structural renovation and repairs and participate in related discussions.
- Undertake site technical supervisions, draft minutes for meetings held with contractors in charge of project implementation.
- Follow up and verification of maintenance works in the premises of the Bank.
- Coordination and replenishments of materials and supplies requested as part of maintenance activities
- Supervise the technical procedures, for all types of repairs on concrete materials, stainless steel, gypsum, finishing materials, waterproofing and carpentry.
- Coordinate, organize, supervise and monitor all the works executed under service contracts.
- Receive all grievances and client’s requests (already registered on Help Desk).
- Work as a team to develop and implement methods to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and the quality of products and services provided to internal and external clients of the department.
- Constitute a database and a system of archiving the ground plans of the Bank’s premises both in hard copy and in electronic formats. Prepare a leaflet that allows the easy identification/use of the ground plans.
- Supervise the unloading of containers and the distribution of the Bank’s materials.
- Daily supervision of the functional status of sanitary installations in the premises occupied by the Bank at its HQ.
- Follow up and supervise janitorial service contracts, gardening and rat-disinfestation/fumigation services in the premises occupied by the Bank at its HQ.
- Following up on the environment (recycling of paper, implementation of water saving mechanisms, etc.).
- Carry out other duties as required by the position and/or Division Manager.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Bachelor's Degree or its equivalent in Civil, Building or Construction Engineering.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in managing building maintenance, renovation of existing premises and construction of, new building works. Execution of projects within a multilateral development bank and/or financial or similar institution.
- Knowledge of the management of goods, works and services procurement and budget management.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong team work and relations, operational effectiveness, decision making and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to manage works contracts and provision of various services.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
6th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online