African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Development Economist and Migration Officer
Position N°: 50091915
The Hiring Department
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The Human and Social Development Department spearheads the Bank wide Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy implementation coordination as well as the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s. The Department supports scaling-up of Bank’s support to strengthening Jobs for Youth Flagship coordination, education, skills, employment, health systems and nutrition, for industrialization and economic transformation.
- The Department leads the Bank’s support to Africa’s economic transformation by: (i) developing and promoting the adoption of relevant policies and strategies; (ii) providing deep multi-sector expertise to the regional hubs by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (Communities of Practice); (iii) developing new financing instruments; and, (iv) fostering strategic partnerships to leverage resources into the human and social development sectors
Duties and Responsibilities
- The African Development Bank adopted in May 2016, the “Jobs for Youth in Africa” Strategy for the period of 2016 – 2025. This Strategy responds to the priorities in Bank’s Ten Year Strategy and the New Corporate Priorities (High-Fives). Creating productive jobs for the youth would improve their living conditions and enhance their engagement in Africa’s growth and economic transformation.
- The Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy was launched during the Bank’s annual meetings in May, 2016, in Lusaka to commence its operationalization. The Development Economist and Migration Officer will be part of the team responsible of the day to day management of the implementation of the Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy.
Under the general supervision of the Director in charge of the implementation of the Jobs strategy, the Development Economist and Migration Officer shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the Bank’s assessment of social and macroeconomic developments, monitoring of structural reforms and policy dialogue that impact national and regional jobs creation for youth and women, and also seek to address migration and refugees issues.
- Specifically, provide socio-economic and macroeconomic and reform advice; conduct and facilitate policy dialogue in close coordination with country economists, Regional Resources Centers and other Bank departments; and interact with country authorities, the private sector, local think tanks, academia, clients and other International Finance Institutions.
- Lead the Jobs Team input to country strategies and other related country strategy instruments;
- Support and develop innovative and timely solutions to mitigate the migration crisis and regional refugee crisis through the Jobs for Youth in Africa agenda.
- Carry out analyses of labour issues, unemployment, underemployment and youth migration issue, and propose operations to tackle the roots of the migration crisis.
- Support the Bank staff and departments to identify priority areas and potential projects with high jobs impact; help interface project design with private sector, and contribute to related to Additionality and Development Outcomes Assessment together with sector economists and provide input to the assessment phase of major projects.
- Lead the Jobs for Youth in Africa dialogue at the country and regional level for (i) the achievement of country policy dialogue objectives; and (ii) leading and coordinating contributions to country diagnostics study; and contributing to improvements in country and regional results measurements on Jobs for Youth.
- Oversee the drafting of Bank’s economic reports, including inputs for the region and its countries for periodic forecasting exercise, country assessments, African Economic Outlook, Country Strategy Papers and related products, Regional Integration Strategy Papers and briefing notes for senior management.
- Manage or lead selected top priority for Jobs for Youth in Africa projects especially related to migration issues and policy reforms.
- Carry out other technical tasks and coordination as required by the Jobs for Youth in Africa coordinator or the Director of the Department.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Development Planning, Business Administration, Finance, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in Africa, preferably in an international organization, government agency, think tank or other policy environment. Demonstrated relevant experience in jobs for youth, social protection, safety nets, financing for jobs.
- Strong knowledge of jobs creation, migration issues, good governance reforms and economic policy issues in Africa with at least seven years focusing on Africa.
- Experience with policy and policy-relevant research on jobs for youth, migration, social protection, safety nets, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises.
- Knowledge and experience in understanding the analytical, operational and financial underpinnings of the African Migration crisis.
- Experience in employment and migration policy formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation would also be an asset.
- Proven experience in managing projects and demonstrated experience in managing complex projects with evidence on clear outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with gender and civil society priorities in jobs creation agenda.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated leadership effectiveness and supervisory ability to achieve defined objectives in international multicultural contexts.
- The ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands/ priorities under tight deadlines and coordinate the work of others.
- Results-oriented, proactive, self-motivated and able to work both with autonomy and with a team in diverse national and cultural contexts.
- Flexibility and the ability to work across divisions and departments of the ‘Agriculture Human, and Social Development’ Sector Complex.
- Client orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with colleagues and contribute to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Experience in team management region focus in Africa would be a major advantage.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
9th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online