Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: PHE Technical Team leader - Rapid Response Team
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: Six (6) Months with possibility of extension.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To provide technical WASH capacity to Oxfam’s NE humanitarian response programme in Nigeria with special focus on infra-structure in IDPs camp and host communities.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- In collaboration with RRT PHP TL, jointly assess WASH immediate needs in area where there is emerging need mostly in areas where Oxfam has no presence on the ground or areas where Oxfam is present but has no capacity to assess.
- Provide assessment reports with key recommendations and intervention design (workplan, requisitions, logistics and budget forecasting etc) in coordination with Programme Manager and WASH Coordinator.
- Adapt approaches for implementing technical choices according to local market technical capacities and targeted communities, and in line with Oxfam team and partners' capacities. This will take into consideration the humanitarian context and include from the beginning a planned exit strategy
- Representing Oxfam in Nigeria-Rapid Response Mechanism group led by UN-OCHA where Oxfam is the WASH focal point and actively contribute on the group decision making process whether or not to activate the Rapid Response Mechanism scheme
- To liaise and coordinate with Oxfam security team to ensure security risks being considered and mitigation plan is clearly communicated with all the RRT members.
- Line manage the PHE RRT (PHE National TL, PHE Officers & PHE Assistants)
- Ensuring that RRT have the necessary tools, equipment and skills to respond immediately in areas where support will be limited.
- Prepare BoQ/Budgets, activities planning and timeframe for quick interventions.
- Prepare contract/MoU following donor and Oxfam procurement and financial procedures.
- Supervise and manage contract/MoU ensuring quality of work as per design specification.
- May be required to support all WASH programme teams operating at established field bases in NE to strengthen and improve programmes in the field, to gap fill for important technical field based staff, join rapid response tasks and capacity build WASH staff in the field as delegated and/or requested by WASH Coordinator.
- To report regularly, verbally and in writing to the Programme Manager and WASH Coordinator on the progress of implementation and challenges encountered against targets set, highlighting constraints and proposed solutions to resolve the issues. Ensure key reporting formats and database are up to date and accurate at all times.
- Participate in PHE team briefing/debriefing, weekly PHE/PHP joint meeting and represent in monthly programme meetings. Ensures that all meetings and briefings are productive & action oriented.
- Represent Oxfam at the various coordination meetings at camp, LGA and state levels ensuring compatibility with overall commitments and policy/programme priorities in public health.
- Technical background in Civil, structural, and water engineering. Experience can substitute qualifications, but not vice versa
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in developing countries in Water, Hygiene and Sanitation Emergency programmes (at least 2 years of it in a humanitarian context).
- Experience of designing and managing construction contracts.
- Experience with borehole drilling and rehabilitation desirable.
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations, in a leadership role. Experience of having led or coordinated inter-agency initiatives would be an advantage.
- Ability to work in a participative way with communities; strong capacity building / training skills
- Strong assessment, analytical and planning skills.
- Experience of task managing and performance management of small teams and of budget tracking
- Experience of varied approaches to capacity building.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a variety of cultural contexts and communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Sound understanding of the importance of gender and participation in programme implementation; sensitive to the needs of displaced and disadvantaged populations.
- Ability to present concise and clear reports within short notice addressing needs/problems and related solutions/recommendations and willingness to share information
- Commitment to Oxfam’s mandate and objectives Oxfam and able to represent Oxfam
Application Closing Date
- A competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between €2672, - to €4110, - based on a 40-hour working week.
1st December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online