The U.S. Embassy in Lagos, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the Facility Maintenance Section:
Job Title: Refrigeration Air Conditioning Mechanic, FSN-04/FP-AA*
Work Hours: Full-Time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent is assigned to the Facilities Maintenance for Air Conditioning Shop directly supervised by the Ref/AC Mechanic Foreman and responsible for all assigned duties as an Air Conditioning Mechanic in the AC trade.
- The purpose of this position is to install diagnose faulty equipment/systems and make repairs on large systems that provide for a variety of air conditioning functions such as cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying cleaning, filtering and circulation.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- Completion of Elementary School and Vocational training or apprenticeship recognized as producing journeyman refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic experience is required.
- One (1) year of journeyman mechanic experience is required.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Writing/Reading in English is required.
- Full journeyman in refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic knowledge of established practices and procedures of the specific trade involved is required.
- Must be able to use tools associated with the conditioning and refrigeration trade.
- A valid Nigeria driver’s license is required.
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
Additional Selection Criteria
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Application Closing Date
- OR - Ordinarily Resident (OR) - N3,599,599 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-04. In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
- NOR - Not Ordinarily Resident - AEFM/EFM - US$25,514 p.a Starting basic salary p.a. Grade: FP-AA*
5th January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS - 174) ; or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS - 174;
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- A type - written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e - mail) submissions to one entry/e - mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for consideration. a u.s. citizen efm does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under com authority does have to be officially assigned to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.